Foodie Friday!
I still can't find the link to the button pic, I'll upload it again if I don't find it soon.My offering today is for something I found at DollarStretcher.com. I'm thrifty, so these really appealed to me when I found them. I made them all last winter for the boy and he loved them. Hubby did too. I like that I can customize the amounts per baggie. I also like that it's cheaper than buying instant. So, here ya go....
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets (found at http://www.stretcher.com/stories/00/001009e.cfm again, sorry about the lack of linkage)
* 3 cups Quick-Cooking Oats
* Salt
* Small sized Zip Baggies
Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and blend on high until powdery. Set aside in a small bowl, and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats. If you're using a food processor, you can do the 1 cup of oats in one batch. Put the following ingredients into each zip baggie: 1/4 cup un-powdered oats, 2 Tbsp. powdered oats, and 1/8 tsp. salt. Store in an airtight container.
To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water - for thinner oatmeal, use more water.
Variations can be found at the site, or make up your own! My kid prefers cinnamon and brown sugar and/or choc chip (I use the mini chips) I usually double the amount per baggie for the boy, and triple it for the hubby to take to work. The amount the recipe gives is perfect for smaller appetites though =) I generally make them about once a week, maybe every ten days, depending on how many cold mornings there are, the boy will pass on cold cereal if it's cold outside.






0 comment(s):
Post a Comment
<< Home