Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Monday, September 25, 2006

First day home alone...

in like forever lol. The boy started school today. It's killing me lol. I want to know how it's going, how he's handling the huge change from elementary to middle school, what classes did he get, etc. I won't know anything for hours! Arggg!

In other news, I started the Angel 'ghan Friday. Well, I did the first two rows of the first square Friday, then spent most of Saturday and yesterday finishing it. Finishing the main part that is, I've also almost completed the gold trim bits, then the border goes on it. I've come to the conclusion that I need to order more yarn. I might just squeak by on the white yarn, but the gold and the light rose I will definately need more of. I guess I didn't take into consideration that I'm using Softee Chunky instead of regular ww yarn. Though the square itself is giving me the gauge called for. I had to go up a few hook sizes to make up for the bulky yarn, so I expected the gauge to be a bit off, was pleasantly surprised to get 4 sts per inch in spite of that. But, the pattern calls for you to double strand the gold thread on the trim around the angel and the cross, then use two strands of gold and one of pink on the border of each square. I did that for the angel and used two entire balls of thread just on the trim. The pattern calls for 700 yds of the gold thread... I used 200 on that bit and haven't even tried the border yet. 200 yds X 9 squares for trim, plus however many yards the border for each square, PLUS bordering the completed ghan does NOT equal 700 yds.

As it turned out, I didn't like the double strand trim, I thought it looked a bit tacky. So I enlisted hubby's help last night and we frogged it, with me winding one strand into a ball and him doing the other. I then redid it using one strand and liked that better. It's more delicate, works better I think. So that basically gives me twice as much coverage for the trims... but I'll still need more for borders.

I'll figure out just how much more once I finish up the trim and do the border. Then I'll go ahead and place the order. It usually takes ten days to get orders from Joann.com, so if by chance I finish up what I have on hand before then (ha! three days per square, I doubt it) I can always busy myself with my other projects.

I haven't started the blanket for our neighbor yet. I wanted to check out the yarn situation on the angel ghan first. Once the first square is finished, I'll go ahead and get started on that project. I'm thinking I might be better off to do a day or two on one, then a day or so on the other. Rather than trying to work on both the same day. I don't want to risk boring myself too much, plus I have enough to deal with trying to keep cat hair off the white yarn, I don't want to have to worry about black homespun shedding on me then attaching to the white the next time I pick it up lol.

OH! I told you I was going to the thrift shop Saturday... well I did, and I am so glad I did! When I walked in the door she nearly broke me in half with the hug she planted on me *g* then she grabbed my hand and took me into the employee's only area where she handed me a bag containing FOUR unused balls of Lopi yarn! It's a pretty camel color, and I have no idea what to make with it but I can't wait to do something lol. Not that I have the time right this second, but still! I'm already casting about for something I can make that only needs four balls. Any ideas? Pattern links? Knit or crochet, I'm not picky =)

Well, I guess I best get off here and get a move on. I want to work on that square, finish it up today so I can order the extra yarn... maybe try to get a bit of housework done, we'll see ;)

Here's to a great week!

3 comment(s):

  • Lopi felts well-nice and fuzzy/hairy looking. Knit a bowl-seriously.
    http://www.fiberfemmes.com/pattern1.htm


    By Blogger Deneen, at 8:21 AM  

  • Have fun making something with the Lopi....Can not give you any ideas as I've never seen that type of yarn!

    Hope that the first day of school went well!


    By Blogger Kimberly, at 2:45 AM  

  • My g/f just made a great felted bowl too. Just used a hat pattern til it was the size she wanted, very easy. Nice to see you home again, safe and sound.

    By Blogger Jewels, at 9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home