Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Yay Home =)

We're back in Germany! I got so busy before leaving Ohio and during our brief stay in Virginia that I just didn't have time to update before leaving the states. We had a pretty decent trip home though. We left from Norfolk Sunday evening, flew into Rota Spain, where we hoped to catch another military flight to Ramstein. We found nothing going out for the next three days (as far ahead as they will tell you) so we got on a flight they had going to Sigonella (Sicily) and went straight to the base hotel to get some much needed sleep. Neither of us had slept on the 7 hour flight to Rota, and we'd hung out in the terminal there for what felt like ages (but was really only hours) so we were quite exausted. Got a good night's sleep and Tuesday morning went back to the terminal there, of course there were no flights to Ramstein in the next few days but they did have one going to Naples so we jumped on that.

B was the only kid on that flight, so the pilot had him brought forward to the cockpit and let him sit in the seat and "fly" the plane. B is now 100% certain he is going to be a Navy pilot when he grows up *g*

Upon leaving Sicily, the pilot also got special permission to fly over Mt. EtnaMt. Etna so B was able to get a bird's eye view of it. I did get a couple pics, but haven't yet gotten them off the camera, when I do I promise to post them so you can see. It was very very cool to see an active volcano like that.

In Naples, we also saw Mt Vesuvius both from the air (though not as well as Etna, we didn't fly right over top of this one) and as we were driven through the city. I really wish we had time to stay and go see it in person, but we really needed to get home so we had to pass.

We couldn't get a flight to Ramstein from Naples either, so we got train tickets and rode the train home. It was 16 hours, but we were able to get all the way to Stuttgart, arriving exausted, but very glad to be home, at 6 am today.

We unpacked, showered the travel filth off us and then passed out. Now, B is outside catching up with his friends who have been stalking hubby for weeks.

I am still pretty exausted, but thrilled to be home. Well, the laptop battery is about dead so let me post this right quick.... more soon!

5 comment(s):

  • Wow-so much stuff to go through to get home, but I'm glad you made it safe and sound. It must feel good for both of you.

    By Blogger Deneen, at 10:13 AM  

  • I am soo glad you are back home, I was beginning to get worried about you!
    It's so coool about you flying over Mt Etna and seeing Mt Vesuvius and were in Naples omg how cool.
    Anyway glad you're home safely and once you get all your huggings caught up from hubby hope to see more of you online!


    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:17 AM  

  • Glad to hear you made it back ok! I'm certain the hubby is very glad to have you back home too! :) Sounds like a great trip back - Rota, Sicily, Naples, Mt. Etna. Sigh. I miss Europe. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:41 AM  

  • I am glad you are home! I bet you wish all that travelling was more about the sight seeing then the search to get home.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

  • Welcome back to this side of the pond!

    Sounds like an eventful trip just to get back...dontcha love those? lol


    By Blogger Kimberly, at 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home