Sunday ramblings
First, I wanted to respond to Lucy's question about the Angel square... those things in the center are popcorn cluster thingies. The pattern calls 'em clusters, but they look like little cotton balls to me.I'm leaning (hard) towards going with the majority vote for the border. That would be to go with the white. Hubby's been thinking on it too, and he suggested maybe going with a dark green, which would make the gold pop more than the pink does. While it's a very good idea, and would look very nice, I think I'm going with white. I just really think it'd look best. I'll be doing the first cross square soon, starting it either today or tomorrow, so I'll do the border on that one in white and compare them.
So guess how I spent yesterday? Oh, hell, you'll never guess so I'll just tell ya lol. I got a bug in my butt to start going through our stuff in preperation for our move. So I went in the bedroom and started with our closets. I was merciless in my purging. I started with my craft closet, where I had a mountain of sweaters I plan to (someday) frog. I pulled out all except the chenille sweaters and tossed all the rest in the thrift shop pile. Which was our bed.
Then I moved on to my closet. I should take a pic to show ya'll our closets, because they aren't like the closets you're used to. Mine is all shelves and drawers. I reached into the top shelf and just scooped everything onto the floor, then moved on and did each shelf that way. Then I started sorting through the mountain. Everything smaller than what I can wear right this second went onto the bed, the rest went back on the shelves, neatly folded and stacked. Then I did the drawers. I cleared out over half the clothes in there. The bed was looking pretty scary.
Hubby came in at some point and figured out what I was doing so he got in on the action and before long was adding to the mountain on the bed.
We did all three closets, and the storage cupboards above them. He thinks we eliminated a good 300 pounds worth of clothing between the two of us. (Mostly me though) I got rid of all the too small stuff, all the stuff I picked up thinking I'd wear but never have etc. The scary part though, is I have more clothes in storage rooms that I haven't yet gone to get. I'd estimate another 100 pounds there maybe.
Why are we thinking in pounds you may be wondering. Well, because the military allows us (based on hubby's pay grade) 11,000 pounds of goods that they will pack and move home for us. Everything over that amount, we have to pay for. When we arrived here we had close to ten thousand. Since then we have purchased several (real wood) pieces of furniture, large ones. Plus books, yarn, and kitchen items. We probably have more like 15,000 pounds of goods. Soooo we're purging.
Purging is very hard for me. I'm a packrat. I'm a collector of stuff. I like, love, most of the things we've bought since coming here. I also like or love everything we arrived with. Therefor I don't want to let go of any of it. Clothes I can get rid of. They mostly didn't fit my fat ass anyway, so they were taking up space and adding weight when they didn't need to be there. Easy enough. When we get home, if I loose weight and need more clothes, I can shop ;)
I will not let go of one single ounce of my stash. I also will not let go of most of my books (we did manage to purge a small box worth though, just paperbacks) and the furniture stays. We'll be needing that when we get a bigger place upon our return home. There may be a couple of items we can eliminate, hubby's computer armoir for one (he's kinda outgrown it now that he has three machines and two monitors... and a laptop.) The boy's desk can go too, and we'll give him the corner desk that was mine for about a minute before hubby got me my laptop. We'll buy hubby a new desk when we get home. That's not much, particle board pieces don't weigh much. Upstairs though, we have a corner dining room set that I bought and have yet to be able to use. That stays, as does the buffet that goes with it. I'm keeping the gorgeous antique hutch too. I refuse to part with the schrank (the huge wall unit here in the living room) because there's a LOT of storage in that bad boy.
I might be able to get rid of a few pounds of nicknack stuff. I want to keep all my kitchen stuff, I've worked hard to acquire it all dammit lol.
Oh, and the exercise equipment stays too. Heavy, yes, but we need it. I've even started using the eliptical hubby got while I was gone. If you can call two minutes of torture *using* it. I do it several times a day though, and have hope that I'll work my way up to some sort of real workout lol. That thing kills though.
So, I have no clue how or if we'll manage it, but we've got a lot of hard decisions ahead of us.
Oh, and did I mention yet that we *almost* have orders? No papers in hand yet, but hubby has been talking with his guy who helps him pick and get orders to a new duty station, and the guy has promised him a boat in Norfolk. I don't want to say which boat just yet cuz 1) don't want to jinx it and 2) not sure if hubby would want me to on such a public place. but I'll say it's the type of boat he wanted and it's where we want to be, so it's all looking pretty good right now =) It won't be long before we can really start looking for a place to live. I can't believe it's already October 1st! Just two more months till Christmas. That will mark our countdown to moving, in a big way. From that point on it'll be a big rush to get everything done. Time is flying by!
And on that note, I only have two months to get the Angel 'ghan finished... well more like 6 weeks cuz I have to mail it too. So I best get my tail in gear and get going on it. Like right now ;)






1 comment(s):
By
Anonymous, at
11:22 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home