Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Friday, July 28, 2006

I need a newborn baby foot...

Hi there =)

Anyone have a teensy little foot they can measure for me? I'm a little stuck lol

All is well here, wet as can be with all the rain we've had the past two days (and more to come today) but doing alright =) It's rained so much that major roads are flooded, people can't get to work, businesses closed for the day or just didn't open... it's crazy!

I spent the day yesterday mostly working on the baby booties I mentioned the other day. Do you know how hard it is to design baby booties without an actual baby's foot? I haven't even had my hands on a newborn in years, I can barely remember the size lol. I finially got smart and when we were at Wal-Mart last week I grabbed a baby shoe and traced the bottom of it. It's bigger than I'd envisioned, but it'll do. I tried working from that for a while, but I was having issues. Then I got smart (hush you!) and I did this:

First I grabbed some supplies...



Some paper towels, duct tape, my foot tracing, scissors, and my creativity ;)

I folded the paper towels to fit into the tracing and began wrapping it with tape.





Before I knew it, I had the general shape of a foot.



When I was done, I was able to frog the sole of the slipper I'd been working on and tweak it to fit the shape better.



I'm much farther along now, nearly finished with the first shoe now. I really wish I had my books with me, because I didn't use the stitch I really wanted to use. I couldn't find the stitch online though so I had to settle for something else. The slippers are for a baby girl, so I wanted something lacy, delicate and/or a flowery sort of stitch. They look nice as they are, but I'm just unhappy I didn't have a better choice of stitches.

In the end, I think I'll make up some sort of pretty thread flower to attach to the top of the foot. My friend swears she can't see the decreases, but I think they scream out at you. SO I want to cover them up lol. I'm sure once I get the pattern figured out and remake it, the decreases will be much less obvious, but I do like the idea of a small flower attached to the top.

Right now I just need to determine how high to make the shoe. Damn I need a baby... or a doll that's actual baby size (but we don't happen to have one laying around the house anywhere) If you happen to know the measurements of a 0-3 month baby foot could you give me a holler? I'd sure appreciate it!

K, got to run, a million things to do today =)

3 comment(s):

  • http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html#foot

    This is a foot measurement chart for babies-


    By Blogger Deneen, at 11:09 AM  

  • Gimme another 4 weeks or so, then I'll have a live model :)

    By Blogger Megan, at 2:36 PM  

  • That is so clever...I would have never thought to make my own "baby foot!" Can't wait to see them finished!

    By Blogger hookd1989, at 9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home