Strength...
There is a discussion going on over at C'ville that got me thinking, it's probably because of last night's poem exercise, the discussion is about What makes people strong? and I wanted to talk about it but I knew I'd ramble on too much for a post there so here I am ;)I tend to agree with what the others have said, it's getting through rough times, it's coping with adversity, a positive attitude, and having some sort of support system.
I have been through a lot in my life. Alcoholic parents, loosing my parents at a young age, a step mother who did wonders for my self esteem and confidence (sarcasm there) being on my own at 16, having three babies in three and a half years and only one in my life now, and many other hardships and trials. My first 25 years were not easy ones that's for sure. I almost gave up a couple of times, but somehow always found the strength to go on. How?
Pure stubbornness I think. Some call it determination. Whatever word you use, I got through. I didn't do it alone. There were folks through the years that gave me a shoulder to cry on, a helping hand, a home to live in, advice, etc. Without those people I might not have made it though all of that and come out as the person I am today. I'd probably have made it through somehow, simply bc of my stubborn streak, but I do not think I'd be who I am today without their influence.
Over the years I have mostly rebuilt my self confidence, I have learned that I am not the worthless piece of crap some folks thought I was. I never was but for a time I believed I was. Some days I still struggle with the self confidence issues. Mostly I do pretty well. That confidence comes from success, from making it through tough times. I can tell myself "Well you made it through that, you can surely make it through this"
Head talk makes a big difference I found. Back when I reenforced what other people said, I made it true. Or made myself believe it anyway. When I told myself my life sucked, it did. When I sat down one day and made the concious decision to be more positive, and started turning that head talk around... my whole life seemed to change overnight. I became more confident, I had a much easier time getting through the tough times that came. Not that those times were any less tough, just that I felt more capable of getting through them and coming out even stronger. And I have.
I am a strong, capable woman. I am intelligent, resourseful and willing to learn. When I run up against something I don't know how to deal with (the kiddo's actions this past year for example) I dig until I find the answers I need. I ask for help (that's still hard to do though!) when I know I can't do it on my own. I lean on my hubby when I need support, I lean on my wonderful friends (real life ones as well as you guys) for advice, an ear and praise.
I've also learned to take criticism better. I have to remind myself sometimes that it isn't a personal attack, it's something to learn from. I'm gettin' there though =)
So, what makes a person strong? I think for each person the answer is a little different. For me, it is a willingness to learn from ones mistakes, stubborness, positive head talk, a good support system, not being around people who might undo the work I've accomplished with myself (so I surround myself with people who are good for me, if they aren't good for me I don't let them into my life, simple as that)
My final thought, I think that by going through those tough times you are better able to appreciate the good times. I know it is for me anyway.






5 comment(s):
By
noricum, at
9:11 AM
By
Jewels, at
11:49 PM
I think that you're right on, I especially loved the part about how when you tell yourself that your life sucks, it will definitely do so. I'm not talking about being a blind optimist (I'm too cynical for that LOL) but you have to think that things will be better in the future or no matter what happens, they won't.
I also think that part of a person being 'strong' is being willing to do hard work that other people want to hide from, avoid, or deny at all costs. Sometimes life is hard and you have to work hard to make it good. I think that sometimes people who claim they're not strong enough to make it just don't want to do the work.
You're definitely a strong, beautiful, inspiring woman. Thank you for your post :)
xoxo
Ro
By
Ro, at
11:48 AM
You just made me cry and I ain't a cryin' girl!
By
Lynlee, at
10:58 AM
Stay strong and proud! (((((hugs)))))
I tried to find your bag photos, but never did. I enjoyed the blog though!
Deb
By
Dudleyspinner, at
9:32 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home