Torture....
Well I went to the first physical therapy back pain class today It's a back pain class alright, it CREATES it. I thought my back hurt before....First we stretched... that was cool. Felt good. Stretching is a good thing. My back stays in a state of perpetual tightness. Then the torture started. The ball thing... my gods! People who have a total and complete lack of coordination (umm that would be ME) have no business trying to balance on a huge beach ball, much less trying to do other things WHILE balancing on said ball. Crunches, push ups, weird leg lift things only we had to raise the opposite arm from the leg we lifted (that was just too much for me!)
As if that ball wasn't bad enough, she passed out these lead filled balls. Medicine ball my ass. The thing weighed a ton (ok nine pounds) and we had to lay flat on our backs and do all sorts of things with this lead filled ball held in the air above us (Danger Will Robinson!) Fortunately I just barely missed dropping it on my head.
Then there was something with this long heavy ass bar, she had us rowing a freakin canoe while balancing on the beach ball.
Squats done against the wall while keeping our backs pressed to said wall... not so bad, except for the squatting part. I thought my legs were strong till then. I was wrong.
Some Yoga stuff, that I can handle. It hurt a bit because it's been so lng since I've done a Downward Facing Dog, but it was a good hurt in a way.
More leg lifting things, some odd push ups done on our elbows... I forget what other forms of torture she put me through before we were finally able to leave.
It was a terrible hour and what's worse... I have to repeat it the day after tomorrow! And twice next week. I can promise I will not be going to any more classes than that! For one thing, I was under the impression I'd be able to do most of the stuff I learned there at home. That will not be the case unless I buy these torture devices they have at the gym and that will happen when it snows in Hell. Nor will I make a trip to the gym several times a week to do this shit on my own. Not gonna happen and I know this so there's no sense even lying about it. A very few exercises that we did can be done without special equipment. So those I can and will do at home on my own. Along with the stretches that the therapist assigned me on Friday. I hope that when I go to my follow up appointment they'll be able to give me some more stuff I can do from home. Frankly though, at this point I am not seeing how any of this is gonna help me. I want less pain not more. I'll be good and keep at it, in hopes that my back will behave itself sooner or later thanks to the torture.
Tonight my back is telling me where I can stick all this though. Doesn't help that the temp dropped 20 degrees yesterday and the rains came in with it. I just hope this all does some good before the real cold hits again or I swear I will not leave the house from September till June (assuming it's warm next June!)
I also have PMS in a bad way. I'm evil, restless, bored, frustrated by everything, and wish I had a cave to hide in for a while.
Nothing I have tried to crochet this past week has worked out. My filet surprise is on hold till I feel I can accomplish something worthwile. I tried to do a Solomon's Knot Shawl out of some thrift shop yarn but the damn thing was too short and when I made it longer I ran out of yarn too soon. Grrrr. I tried to do a poncho but the damn thing was made for Twiggy I guess. The pattern says it fits "most women" which is a load of bull caca. It might have fit my neighbor's nine year old daughter, but not THIS woman. Frogged that too.
I did manage to turn out two beanie type skullies for hubby and son today. Hubby asked for something cotton to wear under his bike helmet to soak up the sweat from his bald head. When son saw what I was making and found out what it was meant for he had to have one too (he went to the skate park on base today so it had to be finished quickly of course) so I have at least managed to create two hats without a pattern and didnt screw them up, that's something I guess.
I think I'm going to go have a nice long hot bubble bath and some chocolate cake to reward myself for showing up and doing the torture today. K, so the cake isn't exactly going to do my hips any good but at this point I could care less. I have PMS and I need chocolate!
Hope ya'll are having a good week =)






4 comment(s):
By
Deneen, at
8:44 PM
By
Anonymous, at
11:32 PM
I totally recommend reading this article: http://www.stumptuous.com/back_pain.html
It's in three parts, and the third part lists some really helpful exercises and whatnot. The whole article is great. I don't think I fully understood how abysmal my posture really is until I read it. She has a site about weightlifting for women, which that article is part of, and it's really helpful and inspiring if you're into that kind of thing ( http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html )
I do *not* do the gym thing, ever--I have social anxiety and cannot work out in front of strangers--but I kinda like lifting weights. It's relaxing. It's one of the few forms of exercise I enjoy, and when I do it consistenly my back hardly ever hurts... Pretty much everything she talks about on her site can be adapted for a home, non-gym setup. All I have is a bunch of pairs of dumbbells, not a barbell (because I have neck issues, too, and I think putting barbell across my back to do squats would make that a lot worse), and I don't even have a real bench. I get by just fine, though. Um. When I do it consistently, anyway. About a year or so I just kinda stopped working out, after doing it consistently for a good while, getting pretty strong, and losing 25 pounds. Who knows what I was thinking...I'm starting all over again now.
By
Daisy, at
1:22 PM
By
Donna, at
9:17 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home