Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Filet Crochet

Well I finally tried it lol. I happened upon some thread crochet magazines at my base thrift shop and among them was a filet chart book 101 Filet Crochet Charts. Being the packrat that I am I snatched them all up (for a dollar apiece!) and as I sat here looking through them I found all sorts of pretty cool stuff that I'd like to try. So I read the instructions in the filet book, figured out how to read the charts and picked one to start with. Since my MIL's bday is coming up I chose the squirrel, figuring if I managed to turn out something decent I could send it to her.

Well here is the result:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I started it about 5PM yesterday and before I went to bed I'd finished all but the last two rows. finished that off when I woke up today, then added a simple scalloped border. I'm very impressed with myself lol. I'd looked at filet before and always thought it would be so hard to do, what with the thread and teensy hooks and those charts totally scared me off. Imagine my surprise when I discovered how very easy it actually is! (I think my hubby is now afraid our house is going to be over run with doilies and lacy stuff rofl) Oh, I'm sure I'll make a few doilies and such... I've already found a couple of other things I could make as gifts, but I can't see my having doilies and things all over the place. A few, sure. I adore the two that I've received from secret pals this year. I'll probably work up at least one for our house (maybe two *g*) but no matter what, yarn is still and always will be my first love.

This German weather is so darn strange, we had that short heat wave and now the past week has been COLD! Not winter gear kinda cold, but definately light jacket, sweater kinda cold. It's JULY for Pete's sake (heh sorry Deneen, she didn't get it from me but I do use the expression on occasion lol) We're supposed to be swimming and whining about how hot it is lol. Not in Germany though it seems. At least the sun came out to play today, for the first time in a week. The high is still only supposed to be 74 though.

This of course means that I can play with yarn, so I am not really complaining about it lol. It's actually much better than sitting here with no a/c sweating and whining *g*

So since it's so pleasant I think I'll whip up a poncho or shawl. Guess I should hunt through my patterns and yarns and see what I want to make. There's a leaflet for a great thread item that I really want to make, but I have to go downtown to buy the thread first (and remember to take the pattern with so I know how much to buy) but goodness knows I have enough patterns to choose from, what with all the ones I've got bookmarked and the ones I've printed and the leaflets people have gifted me with. I'd like to get something finsihed up before Monday, which is my parenting class day and it's supposed to be cool and rainy that day. Perfect for a new shawl or poncho ;)

Then there's that pretty thread I found last week when we went downtown... it's probably enough for a doily or two...

Decisions, decisions *g* I am just happy to be back in the crochet groove. I've missed it a lot!

Welp, off to hunt patterns =) Hope ya'l are having a great weekend =)

1 comment(s):

  • The squirrel came out beautifully (did ya pick the squirrel from the joke from a few weeks ago??). I want to try this and yes, I'm afraid it's too hard. I have had trouble doing regular thread stuff. Darn teensy hooks and thread-ugh. Regina keeps telling me "it's easy", but I don't know.

    Bummer about the weather. It rainded here from Cindy here yesterday and the high was only 70. The pool is frigid today and the temp is supposed to be 90 by tomorrow. Fer Pete's sake, make up your mind Mother Nature!


    By Blogger Deneen, at 10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home