Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Friday, July 22, 2005

Where I'm from

Well, I'm no poet, but I decide to jump in on this one. I got it from Kari who got it from several other people, including Regina Ro and The Shrone Not sure if my version qualifies as poetry or not though lol theirs are all much better. Well anyway, here it is....

I am from handed down clothes, from Spam and cabbage when we could afford nothing else.

I am from more houses than I can count… small, dark, furnished with other people’s things that never felt like home.

I am from the forest of pine where I played with abandon, wild berry bushes filled with plump juicy fruit, and dirt on my feet, the Oak trees in whose arms I escaped into books, roses planted in memory of my father, and mud colored bayous where we fished and tried to recover from his loss.

I am from family reunions filled with music and drinking, kids running wild and unattended, and alcoholism, from a mother who tended bar and a father who played in the band and a stepmother who looked down on that past.

I am from the inability to hold down a job or stay in one place, always moving, never having friendships that lasted, never knowing where we’d be next.

From “you’ll end up just like your mother” and “you’ll never amount to anything”.

I am from Baptist churches, long sermons in hot stuffy rooms sitting on hard benches that made you squirm incessantly. I am from God doesn’t live in a church so going to one to talk to Him isn’t necessary, just live life doing the right thing and being honest in your dealings, say your Thank You’s when things go right and know that He’s there when you need him.

I'm from a tiny dot on a map, country folk, down home cookin’, sweet tea and cornbread.

From crawdad fishin’ in the ditches after a good rain… waiting patiently with bacon on the end of a piece of string till the pincher came up out of the hole, then screaming my head off and dropping it, uncles and cousins dropping by and Daddy grillin’ up a mess of chicken, sausage and an ice chest full of shrimp and crawdads, followed always by guitar music and the sound of my daddy’s voice singing country music as I fell asleep. From falling sleep under pool tables with the sound of the jukebox and drunken laughter filling my ears.

I am from photos I’ve never seen, history I’ve never heard, names I don’t know and heritage unknown. Things I’d like to know, but no one to ask.

That’s where I came from.



This is where I’m from now,

I am from yarn flowing through my fingers, from Campbell’s soup and hugs.

I am from an apartment on a military base where my husband serves his country; it may be small and cramped, but we like to call it cozy, it is filled with love, the smells of home cooking and the sounds of joy.

I am from the Aloe Vera in the kitchen window that heals all our cuts and burns, the Lavender that brings me peace in the bath, cures my headaches and helps my son fall asleep at night when he’s wound up from a hard day of play, the crystals that surround me and give off the energies we so need, the trees and green grass that gives me such comfort and the plethora of Tulips, Daffodils and sweet Spring flowers when the bitter cold of Winter has passed.

I am from holidays spent with friends that have become family and laughter, love and respect, from happiness, joy and unconditional love.

I am from family outings and cuddling on the couch, reading with my son and romantic dates with my husband and I am from cat naps on the couch with my kitties.

From “I love you Mom, you’re the best!!” and “You make me happy” and “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

I am from Nature, treating others with respect and love, the Goddess and the God and harming none.

I'm the head of our household when my husband is out to sea protecting our country, I’m Mom, Wife, Teacher, Cook, Personal Shopper, Personal Therapist, Handyman, Nurse, Accountant, Personal Driver, Keeper of the Pets and One Who Knows All (or knows where to find out!) Gosh, I’ve amounted to something after all!

From bandaging skinned knees to grubbing in the dirt looking for cool bugs, from “Mom can you make 30 cupcakes by tomorrow?” and “Honey, the cat left a present on your side of the bed”

From the time my husband called home when he was on a 6 month deployment and discovered I’d gotten a tattoo in his absence, and when my son learned to ride his bike without training wheels, from celebrating with my husband when he made E-6 his first time up.

I am from photos on the walls and in frames on shelves, from seashells collected on the beach, from pebbles picked up on walks and gifts from every port, from baskets and teapots and books. These things are the start of our history as a family, they each hold special meaning and memories that I will tell and re-tell to my son as he grows up, and to his children someday.

5 comment(s):

  • Wonderful stuff Marvie-insightful. I'm afraid to do one......hugs

    By Blogger Deneen, at 10:52 PM  

  • Great!
    I love how you did two one then and one now, I almost did that (I'm still thinking we were seperated at birth rofl)
    I think I will.


    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:16 AM  

  • I think those are most definitely poetry. I'm afraid to do my own but yours is inspiring. I loved reading everyone elses but yours really touched me. I think it was the fact that you did a before and after. Cuz I feel that where I came from is not where I am now. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    By Blogger Trish, at 10:42 AM  

  • *hug* Marvie! Yours are beautiful, and insightful and painfully true, and most definitely poetry!

    I was thrilled to see you write a "where I am from now", I also thought that I should write one too cause my life is so different now than it was then...thank you for leading the way and inspiring me, I'll try to give it a go later tonight or tomorrow.

    big hugs!!!
    Ro


    By Blogger Ro, at 7:26 PM  

  • I love that you juxtaposed the current you with the past you...wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

    By Blogger LadyLinoleum, at 6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home