Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Monday, July 25, 2005

Inspiration

Well, I just spent a couple hours surfing a website that has given me a lot to think about. It kinda, ok really in a big way, follows along with my previous topic of strength. This guy gives a whole new meaning to the word, in my opinion. Check it out if you're thinking about or trying to loose weight. If his story doesn't inspire you, I don't know what might!

I know it sure inspired hubby and I to get out and walk tonight! We walked 4.528 miles in 55 minutes. That's the distance around the base we live on. Walking at my pace, not hubby's (I'd have to jog to keep up with his fast walking pace and I do *not* jog)

We also committed to doing this at least three times a week, and I even suggested that we start going to the base gym together (this is a huge step for me as I am NOT a go to the gym kinda gal) once or twice a week.

We've each put on 25 pounds in the past year and a half since we moved over here and neither of us is happy about it. Since I have to do these back exercises pretty much for the rest of my life it seems, and since hubby is a go to the gym kinda guy now, I figured we can motivate each other. I'd rather walk a hundred miles a week than spend an hour in a gym, but if I have to do it to keep my back from hurting so damn much I will. The doc did say that getting some weight off would probably help with the pain too. So I figure an hour or two a week in the gym and a few hours a week of walking, combined with a few dietary changes, should do the trick.

I'm not sure what dietary changes we'll be making yet. Other than I'll be cuting back on chocolate, not cutting OUT, but cutting back. Chocolate is my comfort food and I have been using it more than I should. So from now on, PMS week is all I will allow, and in moderation. Hubby has been trying to eat better, taking his lunch to work rather than eating from the food court, stocking fruit, tuna and healthier types of snacks at work. I generally don't eat much during the day. Coffee for bfast, at most a couple peanut butter and jelly sandwiches around 2PM, and then dinner. Since I've been going to the other base so often these past weeks I have eaten lunch at the food court or Subway more often though (but the scale isn't telling me that's added any poundage yet) but usually when I do that I'm not hungry for dinner that night. If I do get hungry in the evening, I drink water or a glass of milk. I don't eat after 8 or 9 usually (unless we're out, which is pretty much never these days)

I don't cook a lot of fried crap, but we do tend to lean pretty heavily on pastas. I am not even going to consider cutting those out, the Atkin's diet would just not work for this family. I'll cut back on them and lean more heavily on veggies though. Can't cut out meats either, hubby is much too much of a carnivore for that. We already buy lean meats and trim fat etc. I can do more salads. What else can I do? I'm at a loss other than those few things. Any thoughts?

The main problem is that kiddo and I just don't like many veggies. The usual green beans, peas, corn, carrots, broccoli, potatoes, I'll eat asparagas but the kiddo won't. We don't do squashes, zuchini, okra, cucumbers.... I flavor with onion and bell pepper but won't eat them. We don't like spicy foods much either. Hubby on the other hand, will eat anything that doesn't bite him first....

I've thought about trying more soups. I can puree veggies and hide them in soup. If kiddo doesn't know what's in it and it tastes good, he'll eat it. I'm thinking if I puree it, I won't think about what it is lol. I have a lot of soup recipes, and it's already cooling off here so pretty soon I'll be craving soup anyway.

Well, I'm beat so I am going to get off here and get some sleep. I'm supposed to go to my back class tomorrow, but (as Deneen says) Aunt Flo came to visit last night and I am just not up for an hour of torture as I gush and cramp, so I'm going to call and get out of it tomorrow. I should be fine for Thursday, but no way am I doing day two of my period at the gym, it's my worst day. I'll go next week to make up for it.

One last thing, thanks everyone for all the comments with the last couple of posts =) I'd love to see ya'll do a "Where I'm from now" too if you feel up to it =) I have to say, after doing the first one, that second one sure did put things in perspective for me, and make me feel a lot better! If you don't post it, at least do it for yourself =)

{{{Hugs}}}

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home