Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Nothing crochet to report

I should probably change the name of my poor blog for the next couple of months so poor unsuspecting folk who come here thinking they'll see crochet related content aren't totally disappointed. It's just to flippin' hot to hook these days. I might get some spinning done later today though. I have so much going on inside my head that I need something mindless to do while I sort it all out.

Hubby bought me a laptop last week =) I've really been enjoying that! I finally got all my files and such transfered from my desktop to the laptop over the weekend, and installed all software for camera, mp3 player etc. I sat outside the other day and typed up a tentative curriculum for 6th grade.

I mentioned it on C'ville, but I am definately going to homeschool B. He got into trouble while I was in the states, and that was when I finally just said for sure that I will do it. So I have had my nose in every book I can get from our two base libraries on the subject. I've surfed and saved a boatload of links too. I'm actually quite excited about it =) I plan to contact his school this week and find out what steps I have to take to stick to whatever the local rules are on hsing. I've been able to find out what the laws are for Virginia, but I can't find much that actually tells me anything when it comes to hsing overseas as a military family. Since at this point I don't know if we'll be stuck here or be going back to VA, I need to be prepared for either one.

At this point I am planning his curriculum based on a high hope of going home. Which means I have to teach to the SOLs for Lang. Arts and Math, but all the other subjects we can essentially do what we want. He'll have to test at the end of the year to prove that he's actually learning (in lang. arts and math only) and that's it as far as regulations go. So, in that vein, I have found lots of information on interest led learning and plan to go that route. Meaning, we'll pick topics he's interested in and I will find/create unit studies which will cover as many subject areas as possible, for instance he wants to learn about Ancient Rome. I can include math by working with Roman Numerals, Social Studies and Geography are obviously covered, Language Arts will be covered by writing reports with correct spelling, grammer and punctuation, he'll read stories about Ancient Rome, mythology too. He'll be learning Latin as well. I've already started labeling things around the house with Latin names lol.

To be honest, I think I will enjoy this just as much (probably more) than he will *g*

The cat is doing well =) There have been a couple of times when he's had to remind the others that he is Alpha Male, but no major issues like we had with Goofball and thed other two. We finally found a dry food that he can eat, though his main diet remains (forever) his canned food. He was also seen to finally drink plain water for the first time. Hubby saw him drinking from the fountain Saturday. The heat this past weekend is probably what drove him to it lol. I'm happy to know that he will, as I was concerned about how he'd make it though the summer on just his canned with water added. It probably wouldn't be an issue if we had a/c and they were cool all day, but it gets pretty darn warm in here from about noon till well after dark (which isn't till 10pm now) I did notice that the boys were more interested in laying on the cool tiles of the kitchen and bathroom floors than in napping on the beds or couches lol. As for me, I spent most of the day outside in the shade with my laptop rofl.

The kid went and got his butt in it again this weekend. I am at a total loss with him, I swear. You'd think he'd have learned not to steal by now, but nope. He took $55 from his friend's wallet. When confronted, he lied at first, but this time he did tell us the truth and showed us where he'd hidden the cash. I took him to the kid's house and made him return the money, tell how he took it and apologize to the kid and the parents. That part was very hard for him, he tried to tell me he didn't think he could do it, but I told him he somehow found the courage to steal the money from HIS FRIEND, so he'd find the courage to admit it and apologize. He did it. He cried. This time, I think, just maybe, he actually feels some remorse. I still don't think he does over the previous incident (for which he is still going to those ppl's house and working off his debt. They went on vacation for the week, but when they return I am making him tell that mother what he did too. Since she has taken so much time out of her life to try to reform him, I feel she should know.

I am also going to visit medical today. I'm going to get a referral or something so he can talk to a therapist. It's obvious nothing we are doing is helping him, so it's time to get some professional help... before it turns from cash into something big like a freakin' car or something.

B has asked to get tested for ADD too. So I will see about starting the process. I'm of a divided opinion on that. He is definately not of the hyperactive variety if he has it at all, though he does show quite a few other symptoms. Hubby and I figure it can't hurt to find out. If he is ADD then we can get help. If he isn't, then he'll know that's no excuse for his actions, and we can work on it from another direction. The kiddo asked to be checked though, so in his way he is asking for help.

And on that note, I need to throw some clothes on so I can go talk to some people today.

Ya'll have a good week! I'm sure going to try ;)

4 comment(s):

  • Marvie-

    I have to tell you, I think it's awesome you're going to do home schooling, but I don't envy you. Elena is out of school is two weeks and I am already wondering what the hell to do all summer. I'm sorry about the trouble you are having, but you are taking it head on with your son, which is great. Hopefully, the therapy and home schooling will help.

    I'm also sorry it's so hot there--hopefully you'll be "home" soon.

    If you need anything, let me know.


    By Blogger Deneen, at 7:34 AM  

  • hey marvie..

    just to let you know ADD has nothing to do with the hyper part .. now ADHD does.. there are two kinds its a common misconception.. my niece has ADHD.. and SP has plain ole ADD world of difference..

    good on you for home schooling.. iknow i could never do it !


    By Blogger ThreeOliveMartini, at 11:16 AM  

  • Oh, Marvie... Sorry to hear you are still having troubles with the boy, but he is VERY lucky to have a mom and dad who love him so much. I think what you are doing is just wonderful and I hope it works.

    By Blogger Lynlee, at 12:55 PM  

  • Poor impulse control goes along with ADD/ADHD. Also ask about Oppositional Defiance Disorder. I hope you can get into therapy soon. You will need support in dealing with his special needs, too. And don't forget to take time for yourself.

    If you need to talk, or have questions, just email me.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home