Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Saturday, April 16, 2005

I'm still alive and kickin'

I'm here, just not been on the puter much. The nicer the weather gets, the more time I spend outdoors lol. I've crocheted a LOT though. I'll have pics in a bit, planning to get everything out after hubby wakes up and take a bunch of pics at once. Here's a quick list of what I've done lately.

Finished up the flower swap, three partners, three items each. (Forgot to take pics of that stuff before I mailed though)

Secret pal stuff

Two little girl ponchos to take with me to VA (bday gifts for Giftalong)

A pair of barefoot sandals also to take with me to VA (counts towards the Giftalong also)

A messenger bag for myself made from sock yarn

Another small purse/bag, made from Spring Swap yarn I got from Natalie)

Several dishcloths and a soap apron for MIL gift basket (due in June, hope to finish before end of May)

Couple of washcloths

Felted bag from thrift shop yarn (Scottish wool in pretty apple green and red) which needs to be felted yet

I think that's everything... crochetwise at least. I also put on a set of acrylic nails (which I haven't done myself in many years, though I got them done up till we left the states) did minimal housework, spent much time outdoors talking to neighbors and soaking up the warm weather (though it's gotten cloudy and cold again today) Had a cookout last weekend, several neighbors joined us. Had a nice time =)

One of our new neighbors (a temp family waiting for a house on the economy)... NOT the ones upstairs with the kids who run all day long... is a really cool lady. She has two dogs and B has been earning some extra cash by walking the small one for her daily and taking out her trash. (He's trying to save money to buy himself a tv bc hubby told him that if he has A's and B's by the end of the school year he can have his PS2 back) Well anyway, I'm really enjoying this lady. She's got a quick wit, a sense of humor (which some ppl might not appreciate but I do lol) she's very intelligent and friendly as can be. She's also a published author and has an extensive liibrary of various types of books (many 1st editions) which she has offered me access to once they arrive. I'm excited to see her collection =)

I've learned something new from my interactions with this lady. Her family has a service dog, and as most people know (or I THOUGHT most people knew)there are special rules that apply to service dogs.

The thing I learned is that people in general are rude and nasty, not to mention uneducated. The things that have happened to this lady and her family since they arrived here are just shocking to me. People have said horrible things to her and her daughter, people have no clue about how to behave around a service dog, even store employees who SHOULD KNOW THE RULES. I find it quite sad that on more than one occasion they were asked to remove the dog from a store, when the dog was wearing a BRIGHT RED VEST which clearly states Service Dog on it, that people would say the rude things that have been said and just generally be a bunch of uneducated assholes. I also find it quite sad that the simple act of being polite to her and her family, knowing how to treat the service dog, and knowing that you are not allowed to ask potentially hurtful/embarassing questions about the animal, and the fact that even my ten year old child knew these things was so surprising to her and made her so grateful. Why should a person have to be grateful that another person is POLITE and uses common sense??? It makes me ashamed of all these other jerkoffs who have treated these wonderful people so badly.

So, I am posting a link in my sidebar where people can go to find more information about service dogs. I hope that in some small way it can make a difference down the road, if just one person reads up on it and learns something they didn't know and learns how to react to/treat a person with a service animal then I would be happy. Maybe that person will pass on the knowledge to others and they will pass it on and so on.

If you'd like to read more, check out Delta Society From there you can find more information if you are interested, but it's a good place to start.

Sorry about my rant there folks, please know it isn't directed at any of you. I just had to express my shock, rage, whatever you want to call it, that more people aren't better educated about this subject in our society. I realize that every person hasn't been exposed to a situation where they might have encountered a service animal so some people may say/do things purely because they just don't know better. The thing is, a person who has a service dog has enough things they need to overcome without society making it worse by our ignorance.

Hearing people ask hundreds, even thousands of times over the years, why they have the animal, what's the animal do etc. (Some people have even asked if the dog is needed bc the person is retarded, and yes, phrased it that way to their face) That can do things to a person emotionally yanno? I would have thought it would be common courtesy not to ask, but did you also know that it is against the law to ask those questions? Yup, that was something I didn't know. But it is. So please, if you aren't already educated on this subject, do so, and teach your kiddos (and anyone else you can teach!) Maybe together we can make a difference.

And on that note, I am going to close. It's time to get some clothes on and start my day lol. Hope ya'll have a great weekend!!!

4 comment(s):

  • It never fails to amaze me how rude people can be...

    By Blogger Daisy, at 11:34 AM  

  • Interesting. I didn't know asking questions was against the law. I wouldn't have, because I don't want to be rude, but making it illegal seems a bit extreme. (And from the sounds of things, making it illegal hasn't helped the matter.) Are service dogs less common in Germany? I don't recall ever having seen any over there, so maybe that's why the store staff acted that way? I always wish I could pet the dogs, but I know I'm not allowed to. *sigh*

    By Blogger noricum, at 7:47 PM  

  • Sounds like you have been a busy bee! I can't wait to see your completed projects!

    That was a great link. I am always amazed when I see dogs helping humans. It is wonderful that they can be trained to assist in a variety of ways. Too bad others don't know more.

    ~Your Spring Secret Pal


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:36 PM  

  • Interesting to know the full details. If people had their hearts in the right place, they would never need all these rules to guide them. It is pure common sense not to ask rude questions about someone disablility.

    By Blogger Yamini Kaur, at 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home