Still here...
So far no luck on a flight. Maybe tomorow or Thursday though. The available flights do mean that we have to leave here at 0'dark thirty though, which is gonna suck. It'll make for a very loooooong day. Depending on where we can get a flight into, it also might mean a 17 hour train ride to get to CT. 10+ hours on a plane and 17+ hours on a train plus all the time spent getting *to* the airport and waiting to get *on* the plane I'm tired just thinking about it. It's something like 34 hours from when we wake up till when we'd arrive in CT... that's worst case scenario I think. Best case, more like 25 or so hours. The worst case scenario also includes a four+ hour layover in NYC (the train ride not the plane) I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. I've never been to NYC, so it might be cool to stash our bags (if we have to hang on to them during that time, I dunno) and maybe walk around for an hour or so. Then again, it might be too scary. We'd be there during lunch, so it might be neat to have a NYC lunch lol. A hot dog from one of those carts you always see on TV lol. Probably all I can afford!I had a small panic moment last night, well more like a pissed at myself moment. I'd already packed my clothes in a space-bag and vacuumed the air out, but I (stoopidly) left the suitcase open (in a house with four cats, Hello, my name is Marvie and I am a dumbass) and yup, you guessed it. Claws punctured the bag. I fixed it today though. In case it is ever an issue for you here is a small tutorial...
1. Get the vacuum out.
2. Find some clear packing tape. While you watch the cats run for their lives from the scary vacuum monster. Think "serves you right, it's all your damned fault"
3. Assemble hose and suck air out of space bag.
4. Put your ear down there and find all the (hundreds) of teensy little air holes. Make note of them.
5. release air from bag, you don't want wrinkles in it when you apply tape. This is also a good time to stick your latest Crochet! Magazine inside, under the places you want to apply the tape. Trust me, you want to do this step.
6. Carefully apply the tape to the holes, press hard to eliminate all air bubbles and get a nice seal.
7. remove magazine, zip bag closed and suck air out. Turn off vac and listen for more holes.
8 Repeat steps as needed until you have covered every last hole and tear.
9. Re pack the clothes you've dislodged and re-seal bag.
10. Put bag back in suitcase and (here's the important part) Zip the damned thing shut to prevent further cat destruction.
So far the tape seems to be working. It's been two hours and the air hasn't seeped back into the bag. *crossing fingers*
So, I'm all packed, the boy is all packed. We're pretty much ready to go. My To-Do list is mostly crossed off (yay!) so all we have to do is shower, pack the last minute stuff and hit the road/air/tracks. I doubt I will have time before leaving the house the morning we fly, but I will try to get online once we get to the airport and say Sianara/Ciao/Hasta La Bye-Bye ;) But if I don't get a chance, if you don't see anything from me here or at DoD tomorrow/Thursday when you wake up, you can safely assume we're on the way. I'll be around off and on till we head out though.






6 comment(s):
I may try the space bags for our next trip-you'll have to let me know how the clothes held up wrinkle wise when you come home.
Be safe and have fun!
By
Deneen, at
8:46 AM
I don't have the faintest idea where you could stash your bags. Once you get off the plane it is like total confusion. I'm guessing you may be flying into LaGuardia?
Have a great flight either way, and relax. You'll be here before you know it.
By
Kellycat, at
9:09 AM
me + wait = mucho anxiety
Any way have a good trip.
I so know what you mean about the kitty claws on space bags. You know they mention on the infomercials that you can store them uunder your bed... ummm thats if you DON'T have cats.
Hambut walked over a couple of ours.
By
Unknown, at
10:32 AM
I'm looking forward to the time (6mos!) when I can look forward to flying overseas for free, but waiting forever (!) for the flight. I don't get that bene until we're married. And that's 6 mos and 2 days away! Ack - it's starting to be really real now. Which is a good thing, but still - so much planning.
Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled blog. ;)
By
Anonymous, at
10:51 AM
By
noricum, at
2:26 PM
Lena's like that with plastic, too. Back when we were re-doing the bathroom, she'd try to rummage around the box of supplies we had to look for things to dig her claws into. Fortunately I noticed that the rubber gloves were full of little holes *before* wearing them to clean the tub with muriatic acide LOL
By
Anonymous, at
11:07 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home