Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Friday, April 21, 2006

Heathy Homemade Pizza

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Heathy Homemade Pizza

Dough:

1 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons sugar (or Splenda)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour OR 3 C whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Add to bread machine in order recommended by manufacturer and set to pizza dough setting (or regular dough if machine doesn't have pizza dough)

While this is mixing and rising you can boil or bake a chicken breast or two if you like, to toss on with the veggies later. Or use leftover chicken if you have it.

When done (an hour and a half in my machine), remove and divide in half. Roll out and place in pizza pans or on cookie sheets if you don't have pizza pans.

Other ingredients

Fresh Broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
Some bell pepper (I use the frozen strips and dice them) Onion, mushrooms...
plain low fat yogurt
shredded cheese

Turn oven on to 350

Let dough rest ten minutes, you can pre-bake for 5 or ten minutes if you like, I generally don't bother.

Chop some broccoli, cauliflower and carrots into small pieces.

Spread yogurt on crust in a thin layer. Add cheese to taste (I prefer a lot) then add veggies (and chicken if you're using it)

Place in oven, bake for (10-15 mins if prebaked crust) 20-25 mins.


You can of course use a premade pizza crust if you like and use whatever veggies you prefer =)

The whole wheat, substituting Splenda for the sugar, useing low fat cheeses or just use less cheese makes it healthier. I toss on a lot of veggies, the more veggies the more filling it is, which means you'll eat less. Whole wheat is also more filling than white crust we've found.

I see some of you balking over the yogurt... trust me, I don't care for yogurt, but this is good! Try it, even if just on half of one pizza the first time. You don't need much, I think I use about a half a 4 oz container to make two pizzas. Even the kiddo likes it like this and he's super picky! (I didn't tell him the first time though)

Enjoy! And if you try this, let me know whatcha think!

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home