Want to check out my photo gallery of completed projects?
(There's no link back to this page bc I don't want potential customers reading my blog, just seems to personal)
Snowman decorations (handmade or not, I just adore snowmen!)
Wednesday, February 08, 2006
question about music
K ya'll, normally I ask my hubby about this stuff, but he's not here and I have no ideas when I'll talk to him. Kiddo is asking for a cd by a group called System of a Down.... anyone know the music and is it appropriate for an 11 yr old boy? I'd appreciate any thoughts....
I think they are a heavier rock band. I used t olisten to them somewhat but now they give me a headache! I looked them up on Amazon and it listed a couple of their cds as having explicit lyrics, so it may not be appropriate for an 11 year old. Here's a link where you can listen to samples (just scroll down)...
It's a good group, but it's really heavy and they do use explicit language and adult topics.
I would suggest listening to some of the samples at Amazon and seeing if it's appropriate for him. He might be mature or aware enough that's not a problem.
Personally, I'd probably have a problem if my 11yo stepson wanted to listen to them, but then again maybe not. He doesn't seem to be very musically aware yet, so it's not a topic that's come up.
This is kinda off the subject, but since you already got an answer anyway I'll feel free to babble...The first time I ever felt old was when Sara came to live with us full-time when she was 13 and I found myself thinking, "God, what is up with that awful music? Why won't she turn that down?" LOL I listen to plenty of heavy metal myself, or did at the time, not so much anymore, but I couldn't stand some of the stuff she listened to and it made me feel positively ancient to catch myself thinking that. (Especially since I was about 26 at the time :-> )
I guess it all depends on if you're comfortable with some explicit language. My kids are 11 and 15 and they can listen to whatever they want. I don't stress about a few f-words. Chances are, I'm not going to like most of what they listen to just because of personal preference. I guess I'm kind of liberal when it comes to stuff like that but they know that even though musicians choose to express themselves explicitly, we don't do that in our everyday language. I'm not kidding myself about what they hear at school either. Just as long as I don't hear it coming out of their mouths and don't have to hear their music in the car. From my standpoint, there are bigger issues to worry about and letting them be themselves now could prevent some serious rebellion later. (Totally don't mean to sound preachy! It all depends on what your comfortable with and heck with everyone else!)
5 comment(s):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BM6AVA/qid=1139416245/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-3750093-8861524?s=music&v=glance&n=5174
They do have one cd "Toxicity" that wasn't listed as having explicit lyrics.
By
Mandi, at
11:35 AM
I would suggest listening to some of the samples at Amazon and seeing if it's appropriate for him. He might be mature or aware enough that's not a problem.
Personally, I'd probably have a problem if my 11yo stepson wanted to listen to them, but then again maybe not. He doesn't seem to be very musically aware yet, so it's not a topic that's come up.
By
Anonymous, at
11:53 AM
By
Anonymous, at
12:18 PM
I guess I'm kind of liberal when it comes to stuff like that but they know that even though musicians choose to express themselves explicitly, we don't do that in our everyday language. I'm not kidding myself about what they hear at school either. Just as long as I don't hear it coming out of their mouths and don't have to hear their music in the car.
From my standpoint, there are bigger issues to worry about and letting them be themselves now could prevent some serious rebellion later.
(Totally don't mean to sound preachy! It all depends on what your comfortable with and heck with everyone else!)
By
Anonymous, at
3:40 PM
By
hi, i'm natalie, at
7:45 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home