Snowflakes =)
I got my 99 Snowflakes book in yesterday! Yay! I immediately sat down and made #15 (no pic just yet)*g* I'm thrilled with the variety of flakes, and I really can't wait to get to those nifty 3-D ones in the back! I really need to get some liquid starch though. The spray stuff just isn't cutting it. /note to self: ask hubby to check the commisary tomorrow, he needs to get basil anyway. Odd how the store here on the post where we live carries dozens of seasonings but not basil. We have to get that at the main store on the post where hubby works.I've been cooking a *lot* lately. It's because it's cold. I always get the urge to cook/bake in the winter months, then come warmer weather you can't get me to stay in the kitchen long enough to put together a sandwich rofl. Due to all this cooking, I am suddenly out of a lot of my staple seasonings. I need to go shopping tonight. I'll probably have to wait till tomorrow though, I just remembered this is hubby's late night (gets home an hour later than usual) and he'll probably be a bit grumpy. Not bc of getting home late, but bc he has to deal with a lot of dumbass stuff on Thursdays.
I am going to try to be better about feeding my famiy this spring/summer. As I said, I don't do so well at it in the warmer months. I really don't enjoy cooking for one. I love to bake, but cooking, not so much. I just do it bc it has to be done. Anyway, our diet hasn't been going so well. Neither of us seems to be loosing any weight. So, I've decided to just cook healthier foods, using whole foods as much as possible but without trying to go completely organic (can't afford that anyway.) So, we'll eat what we want, in moderate portions, going heavy on veggies and light on carbs. I'll try to keep the sweets out of here too (fruit's ok), but I'm not eliminating breads and pastas. I am switching to whole wheat bread and pastas, if we're going to eat them, they might as well be a whole food. So, no more white bread and once the last of the enriched pastas are gone, only whole wheat for those too. I've used wheat for pizza dough, bagels, and today S and I made doughnuts with wheat flour and they've all turned out quite yummy. Kiddo prefers wheat to white anyway, as do I. Hubby doesn't love it, but he'll eat it.
I'm also eliminating all boxed processed crap from my kitchen. No more Stove Top, if we want dressing, I'll make it from bread. Wheat bread. If we want Au Gratin Potatoes, I'll make 'em from scratch.
I will still buy canned tomato sauces and such, and cream of mushroom soups, those are my concession. When we go home and I can grow tomatoes again, and have a real kitchen where I can put up cans of sauce and tomatoes, I'll stop buying them. For now though, I'll just keep buying. I'll still buy condiments too. Like I said, I'm not going all out. I just figure if I can get us on whole/fresh foods as much as possible I can save us some money, I can control what goes into the dish, and we'll be healthier. The food tastes so much better too. I may never love cooking, but I do like hearing the kiddo tell me how much he liked something I've made myself.
On that note, I guess I should go decide what's for dinner. I do find that I have to start the prep a lot earlier than I am used to doing with preboxed foods. But, I'm home all day so other than laziness, I have no reason not to be able to do this =)






3 comment(s):
I love my 99 snowflake book, just wish I had the chance to work more on flakes.
By
Unknown, at
11:15 AM
Yay you for eliminating the boxes crapola....wish I could do it but time and ambition are lacking....plus I rarely cook anything anyways! I dispise cooking for one and with my darn Euro-fridge/freezer I have no room to keep anything!
By
Kimberly, at
1:39 PM
By
none, at
7:36 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home