Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Lotsa snow

No, I didn't take a pic... I don't want to be out there long enough for that mess. We got several inches overnight though. Before this, we've had snowy days, but it hasn't stuck around more than a day and it was just enough to make things messy. The kids are thrilled that they can go sledding though. Usually we don't get this kind of snow till February, when it snows daily for a month straight. I sort of wanted a white Christmas, and though it wasn't here on the actual day, I guess this is close enough lol. I am hoping this stuff goes away after a few days though. It can stick around long enough for the kids to have their fun, but I'm sure not wanting this to stick around till spring! Our winters are long and cold enough without having an extra six weeks of snow on the ground. Looking at my WeatherFox doohicky though, the next two days are not going to get as warm as 30 degrees. Ugh. I am *SO* glad I have my fleece lined jeans!

I also have a great hat and scarf set that my friend made me for Christmas =) I think I mentioned her before, she wanted to learn to crochet a while back and she came to me for help, so I gave her a few pointers, showed her the best websites to go to and helped her out when she got stuck for about a week.... well I have to say, she really learns fast! In no time at all she was turning out FO's that I *still* haven't attempted (most recently she made a gorgeous little sleeper for her soon to be nephew!) and trying her hand at stitches (again) that I still haven't tried lol. I couldn't be more proud of how far she's come in such a short time =) Anyway, she made me a super warm, ultra soft hat and scarf set for Christmas, it's made from LB Homespun with Moda Dea Dream held with the Homespun throughout. It's yummy soft! Also very warm =) It'll be very nice in this snowy cold and I am *so* glad to have it! Plus, it matches my black coat perfectly! The HS is in the Edwardian color and the Dream is white (it looks snowkissed!) I love it =)

Speaking of yarns *g* I used my Joann gift certificate yesterday. I ordered two balls of the Joann Boucle that I think I am going to atempt my first clothing with. I'm either going to make myself a cardigan, or if it works out (I am going to swatch today if I get time) I think I may use it for the hooded car coat in last year's BH&G Simply Creative Crchet. I also ordered a few odd skeins just so I could try some yarns I haven't had the chance to play with yet. Ordered a Tunisian hook with a cable on it for hubby's afghan. Got myself some black wool that I think may become felted mittens, but if I decide no on that I'll find some other use for it ;) Got a set of Boye Balene hooks (j, k, l, m and p) to see if I prefer them over the Crystalites. Ordered a skein of Light and Lofty bc I wanted to see it in person and find out how it compares to Homespun and so I could see the colorway in person. If we like it, that'll probably be what I use for hubby's blanket. It's much cheaper than Homespun that's for sure!

I tried to use my Herrschners certificate too, but they are pissing me off. Hubby is ready to boycott them due to our last three orders from there have been screwed up in some way or another. Now I'm having issues using the gift cert. so he's over it. I followed the instructions that came with the thing, I looked it up on their site just to be sure I was doing it right, but every time I submit the order it doesn't go through. I tried calling yesterday but the woman I got didn't even know you could use the certificate online, she told me I had to mail my order in. (Needless to say I didn't bother telling her I could also use it on the phone) She told me to call back today, it seems customer service wasn't in yesterday.... even though when I called the first time the first woman told me to call back in an hour and a half when customer service *would* be in. So, needless to say, I'll be calling them in a few hours when they open (yes I know they say you can call 24 hrs a day, but you can't actually get any help except during the hours posted on the site) and I'll be letting them know that A) they need to train their people about gift certificates, especially considering it's the time of year when those might actually be purchased and used. B) that I am completely unhappy with the past few times we have ordered from them and that hubby is threatening not to use them again due to poor customer service I doubt anyone will care, but I still feel I have to let them know.

I have no plans to make a special trip to the other base just to use my other gift certificate. I've put it in my purse and next time I am down there I'll go in and do some stash enhancement lol. The craft shop has recently upgraded their selection. It's still all LB yarns and it's still much more expensive than I like, but at least they have some different things to choose from. They even had some Moonlight Mohair! I'm not sure what I'll get, of course it will depend on what they have in stock, but I'm leaning towards either Homespun (I can get enough for a throw, even at their prices) or lots of Wool Ease (which is much more reasonable at $3 a ball) which granted, doesn't let me play with the newer stock but my frugal self feels like I should get more bang for hubby's bucks lol. I can always order those other yarns from someplace online and save myself some moola if I want to play with them.

I joined Snowflake Mondays (see, added the button and everything!) so that is one thing I plan to do in the new year. I figure I can get two snowflakes done each Monday. That'd give me over a hundred flakes by next Christmas! I may have to buy myself a book ;)

My other plans for this next year include:

Making myself a sweater or jacket

Actually making some good gifts for next year (with my yarn budget, I should now be able to work throughout the year on good stuff)

Master Tunisian Cables

Make hubby's 'ghan

This one is a maybe....

Learn/get better at knitting

I'm encouraged by the fact that I was able to knit a cable lol. I doubt knitting would ever become a favorite for me, but it might be a handy trick to know lol. There have been a few things I have really liked and wanted to make, but they had knitted parts to them. If I can learn enough to get by, I will be less limited. I don't really feel limited, I guess that was the wrong choice of words. It'd open up more options though. So, maybe I'll fool around with it more next year.

Well, I think I am going to hop off here now. I am working on Dot's Light and Lacy Stole and I am down to the last bit. I wanted to finish it last night, but didn't quite make it. I've tossed some music in the CD player though, the kid is outside catching pneumonia, hubby's at work and I have a fresh pot of coffee... sounds like a recipe for some serious crocheting ;)

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home