Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I knitted.... again

So I was getting a little pissy that I couldn't create a Tunisian Cable, no matter what I tried. The darn things just defy me, they twist alright, but that damn poof just stays in the back (I did try popping it forward but it didn't help) Maybe I'm missing something in the instructions, I dunno.

So I decided to see if I could knit it. I dug out my Learn To Knit magazine from BH&G that I bought last year and re-taught myself how to cast on (which wasn't working out too well at first so I chained and did the first row Tunisian then switched the loops to the knitting needle, worked like a charm!) and then practiced kntting and purling for a while, looked up those how to cable instructions I found the other day and I produced a knitted cable about two inches high! I'd show it off but my camera is MIA at the moment. I stopped at two inches and bound off, I only wanted to see if I could do it and I somehow did lol. Poofs in the front, twisty like it should be. Not perfect as far as tension etc. But it was a recognizable cable.

So I tried again with Tunisian and the damn things are still flat in the front. I'm starting to really get grumpy about it. I thought maybe having done it in knit my brain would somehow figure out what I was doing wrong, but no such luck =(

Not a whoile heck of a lot else going on. Anxiously awaiting the moment when we open our gifts lol. I can't wait to see what hubby got me rofl. I do know a couple of things, the lapdesk from Herrschner's as well as a set of hooks (thread 00-14 and aluminum D-K in a case) and gift certificates to Herrschner's and Joanns. But the rest is a mystery and he won't give me any hints! Honestly, I think I am more anxious than the kid! I tried to talk hubby into celebrating the Solstice/Yule this year, but he saw that as a ploy to open presents early and quickly said nope rofl. Maybe I'll plan it for next year though *g* if I start talking about it early enough.... heheheh

I ordered myself a birthday present today. I keep seeing rave reviews about Jimbo's hooks over at the 'Ville so I got in touch with him tonight and ordered an L and an M =) I figured that was a good way to break in my new checking account ;) Plus, I've been wanting to get my hands on larger hooks that aren't plastic.... I know I have mentioned how much I hate my Crystalites. I'll order N and P next ;) Valentine's day is right after my birthday and that's also our one year to go (home) mark, sounds like a great gift occasion to me ;)

I still haven't settled on a yarn for hubby's blanket. I guess chennille is out, so I'll have to use some sort of acrylic. Durability is a must for a boat blanket. I still don't want to pay $5+ a skein for Homespun though, so it either needs to go on sale somewhere, or I need to find something that will be nice and soft and thick that won't cost us an arm and a leg. It's going to take quite a bit of yarn... he wants the blanket roughly 4ft wide by 6 ft long. It has to tuck around his feet and come all the way up to his neck, and he'll probably tuck it under him on the sides too (think bug in a rug!) so it might need to be even bigger. I need to measure his other blanket and determine size for sure.

I finished hubby's surprise yesterday, turned out quite nicely! It's the first one of these I have ever made so I am thrilled that it came out so well. I didn't end up using the same pattern Kari used though, I was afraid it'd be too small so I found one at CPC and it came out just the right size =) I'll show pics as soon as A) Christmas is over and B) I find my camera!

I also finished the hat for the other 11 yr old boy. It's a navy blue beanie with red spike stitches around the bottom. B thinks he'll like it. I decided against a matching scarf, since B refuses to wear them I am pretty sure A doesn't either so I won't waste the time and yarn. I can't think of anything else to make him and at this point we don't have the money for more shopping (if we plan to eat the rest of the month that is!) so I guess the hat will have to do. I feel kinda bad about it, he is one of my favorite kids and my best friend's son, so I wish I could do more. All the guys are getting shafted this year though, to be honest. The women and girls are hooked up with ponchos, purses, hat/scarf sets etc. The guys.... not so much lol. I do love 'em, they are just a pain to pick gifts for!

Well, I think I am going to get off here and veg on the couch with some movies. I'm so po'd over the cable issue I don't even want to think about picking up a hook and yarn right now.......

?Night night ya'll!

3 comment(s):

  • What color(s) are you looking to use in hubby's blanket?

    By Blogger Stacy, at 7:16 PM  

  • I wish I knew more about Tunisian crochet so I could offer my (most likely) worthless advice :-)

    Have you thought about Caron Simply soft? They now produce a simply soft bulky weight.


    By Blogger sara, at 11:03 PM  

  • Very cool, regarding knitting a cable. Do you knit continental? I found it pretty easy to go from crochet to knitting.

    I look forward to seeing the blanket you end up crocheting for your dh.


    By Blogger none, at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home