Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Yay me =)

I found the Family Circle Easy Crochet magazine today on base! Of course I snagged it and added it to my basket of school supplies ;) Great patterns, it'll be a while before I can get around to any of them, but they're all great! I also picked up the one and only crochet book they had, The Portable Crafter Crochet it's got some cute little patterns in it too. Socks, scarves and hats, purses, flowers, pillows, a Mobius Wrap, a bookmark, a cute baby ghan and a nice full size ghan. They did have a couple of Lion Brand books, Hats and Scarves I think they were, but they were knit and crochet and there were several each of those so if I decide I want them there will probably be some left next week.

I got the kiddo's school supplies, what few things I could find. I got some folders (none with pockets to be had of course) some report covers, index cards, a student planner (he needs to learn how to keep track of his assignments, so I'm still going to make him write everything down) construction paper and a few art supplies, notebook paper and a few single subject spiral notebooks (the only three they had!) I also got This for 6th grade They had workbooks, but those were $8.95 each and they were thin little things.... I paid almost $25 for this, but it has Writing, Spelling, Reading Comprehension, Lang. Arts and Math and practice tests. (we're doing Unit Studies for Science and Social Studies anyway) It was a pretty easy choice, $25 for one book with it all or $9 for each subject.

I went to the school today, there are no forms to fill out, no requirements to fulfill, no testing to be done. At most, hubby might have to submit a form to his chain of command letting them know we're homeschooling. Couldn't be easier. Of course, I will still keep good records just in case anyone ever wants to see or wants proof. I don't intend to hs forever, he'll go back to public school for 8th grade... hopefully with greatly improved skills and confidence =)

Well, the 24 hour marathon is in 8 days. We're as ready as we can get physically. I'm setting a goal of 15 miles in 24 hours. I know I can walk 4 1/2-5 miles in an hour when I walk with hubby around the base, so I feel a goal of 15 miles is reasonable. I may be hurting pretty badly the week after, Goddess knows I was last year! But I've walked more this year than I had before last year's marathon. Hubby did 27 miles last year, but says he doubts he will try to do that again... he was in much more pain than I was! I'm not sure what his goal will be though. B will be walking too, and I'm going to have him set a goal as well. (granted, he'll be rollerblading and playing most of the time, but he did an impressive amount of laps last year)

Hubby bought a 5 man tent, a big shade tent thingy, a good sized cooler and he plans to get at least one sleeping bag (kiddo has one but we want two just in case) and we're borrowing an inflatable mattress from our neighbor (that field was hard!) I'll stick our pillows in space bags too (we might as well be comfy, right?)

I have a list of first aid stuff, which I will throw in a bag before I leave. I'll also be sure to take warm clothes for that long middle of the night stretch. Crochet, of course! This will be a perfect time to advertise ;) I'll wear crochet as well as be doing it *g*

Well, I think I'm going to go make some coffee... I'd rather nap but there's a group of small male children with water balloons outside my windows so with all the wooping and hollerin' I wouldn't be able to even dose off. I'd just get pissy. Besides, I have a new book and magazine to look through some more ;)

Hope ya'll have a good weekend!

Still keeping the folks in New Orleans and Mississippi in my prayers

3 comment(s):

  • I *heart* my space bags.

    24 hour marathon? wow...
    good luck!


    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:24 AM  

  • Good plan with the recordkeeping if you're planning to send him to public school in the future. Also, though you probably already know this :) keeping a portfolio of his work each year is a good idea, especially in case he later ends up going to a school that's not friendly toward homeschooling--that could keep him from ending needing to do standardized testing crap to prove that he's on grade level. (Oh, and I have had a half-written email to you for days now. I swear I'm going to send it today!)

    By Blogger Daisy, at 12:08 PM  

  • Regarding your comment about recycled yarn: Have you found any interesting sweaters while you've been overseas? I'm just wondering how they compare to what I find over here.

    By Blogger Joy, at 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home