Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Pattern for Hooded Scarf

I wrote this up a while back when I made myself a version using RH Symphony (gawd that stuff is soft) I wrote it up as I made that scarf, so the pattern itself will produce a soft, but plain hooded scarf. I did give measurements though so that people can make whatever changes they want to it....

Copyright Marvie Newcomb 2005

This is more a formula than a pattern, you can use any hook size, yarn or stitch you like, just going by the measurements. The pattern is just how I made it =)

Using Red Heart Symphony River Blue – 2 balls (you won't use it all though)

H hook

Scarf – 6” wide by 60” long (or 84” if you want a really long scarf) before fringe

Chain 30+2 turning ch (or you can chain as long as you want the scarf to be and work it lengthwise instead of widthwise)

Row 1 – HDC in 3rd ch from hook and each chain across, ch 2, turn.

Row 2-? HDC in each stitch across, ch 2 turn. Continue till your scarf is as long as you want it. I made mine 5’ long pre-fringe. If you want it to wrap a couple of times around your neck I suggest about 84” long (remember the hood is going to take up 2 feet of the scarf). End off and weave ends.

Hood – 11” wide by 24” long

Ch 95+2 turning ch (or till your chain is about 24 inches long), turn.

Row 1-? - Hdc in 3rd ch from hook and each stitch acroos. Ch 2, turn.

Continue till you have a rectangle measuring 24" long by 12" wide. Finish off.

Fold hood piece in half (lengthwise) and whip stitch (or sl st) together down the back.

Assembly:

Fold scarf in half, lay hood piece just above it so the seam meets up with where your scarf is folded, then carefully unfold the scarf, then the hood. Pin together, and whipstitch or sl st. (I actually ended up sitting on the floor and sl stitching it together bc my pins kept falling out so I just used stitch markers to hold it together in a couple of places. As long as you are careful with your measuring and start it in the right spot, it works out just fine any way you do it. if you start it wrong though, you'll end up with a scarf that's a bit shorter on one side!)

Weave all ends.



The scarf pictured yesterday was made lengthwise, I chained about a mile (heh I didn't count, just chained forever) then did dc for a couple rows, then did a row of V st, a row of sc, (three rows each of that) and then a few more rows of dc. Edged it with a ch 3 sl st in next stitch (which you do have to end in the spot where you attch the hood, then restart on the other side) Made the hood as in the pattern above, except I did the last few rows in V st followed by, row of sc and the ruffle.

My pattern page can be found here Someday, when I have time I will give each pattern it's own page, but for right now they're just together on one. I only have two there so far anyway lol. Hopefully I can add the Purse with No Name soon =)

Have a great day!

2 comment(s):

  • Hi Marvie! I just found your site and I really LOVE this little pattern! I'm trying to meet some new people so I thought I would leave you a message! I'm 33 and live state-side in southern Georgia (though my family is from Wurtemburg). Oh, yea, read and crochet at the same time.....buy audio books and listen while you stitch!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:05 PM  

  • Hi there =) So glad you like the pattern! I really love my hooded scarves, the first one I purchased in Virginia at a flea market and kind of went from that as to how to put it together.

    I've tried audio books, I can't pay attention though, I am too easily distracted I guess! I just have to have the words in front of me lol.

    Pleased to meet you!


    By Blogger Marvie, at 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home