Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Friday, November 18, 2005

Math question

K ya'll.... I need your help lol. Think back to when you learned fractions. Dividing fractions. I'm not sure if I am remembering this correctly or not. Say you have 1/3 divided by 2/5 (I can't figure out how to make that look like a math problem, there's no division symbol on this laptop rofl) I seem to recall that you would change the division sign to a multiplication sign and then multiply 1X5 and 3X2 for an answer of 5/6 ..... but the site I found to refresh my memory of frations so I could teach B gives these steps:

Change the division sign to a multiplication sign and invert the second fraction
multiply the numerator
multiply the denominator
reduce the results


When I use these two ways to do this problem (using a whole number)

3 divided by 4/16
adding the step of changing the number 3 to 3/1
I come up with 48/4 when using the steps above, but I get 4/48 when I do it my way which then has to be reduced but either way you don't get the same answer.... what am I missing or doing wrong here?

Anyone remember this stuff?

5 comment(s):

  • I remember running from the room screaming... does that help? hehehe good luck, math is the bane of my existance...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:57 AM  

  • Hello! I'm a frequent lurker but never had leave a message before. So, it's very nice to meet you and hope this helps with your fraction division.

    "To divide one fraction by another, you merely turn the second fraction upside-down (invert it) and then multiply!"

    Taken from: http://home.blarg.net/~math/FDU4.HTM

    There are examples and a worksheet with exercises. Hope this helps!

    ~Eliany


    By Blogger Eliany, at 10:23 AM  

  • Hey Marvie!

    The site is right. Here are the steps:

    3 divided by 4/16
    3/1 multiplied by 16/4
    gives the result of 48/4 before you reduce.

    Dividing fractions is easy - just flip the denominator! I loved dividing fractions. (Ok - math was my major in college).

    Anna aka jingles96 aka jinglelady ;)


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:57 AM  

  • Here's my explanation: Dividing by a number, say x, is the same as multiplying by the inverse, 1/x, or x^(-1) (where "^" means the -1 is an exponent.)

    So (1/3) ÷ (2/5) = (1/3) x (2/5)^(-1) = (1/3) x (5/2) = 5/6.

    And for 3 ÷ 4/16 we have (3/1) ÷ (4/16) = (3/1) x (4/16)^(-1) = (3/1) x (16/4) = 48/4 = 12.

    If you simplified before doing the division, 4/16 = 1/4, so you'd have (3/1) x (4/1) = 12. (I skipped writing out a few of the transforming steps.

    Or another way to think about it is to draw a little fraction of 1/3, a big line, and then a little 2/5... so that your "big" fraction has a fraction in both the numerator and denominator. You can multiply/divide both the numerator and denominator of a fraction by the same number and not change the result. So if you multiply the top and bottom fractions by 5, you get 5/3 over 2. Then if you divide the top and bottom by 2, you get (5/3)x(1/2) = 5/6 over 2/2 = 1, which you don't need to write.


    By Blogger noricum, at 2:44 PM  

  • Oh... and a quick way to check your results is to remember that if you're dividing by a number larger than one, the result will be smaller. If you're dividing by a number smaller than one, the result will be bigger.

    By Blogger noricum, at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home