Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Roman Road project

The kiddo and I built a "Roman Road" today. Now, we didn't have a way to actually cut the paving stones to make everything fit together like the Romans did, but we did the best we could with the stones and rocks we could find and filled in the gaps with gravel.

You can see a cross section of a Roman road here, Roman Roads and we followed these steps to build our road.

I used a disposable cake pan to hold it all. B layered the bottom with small stones, then added a layer of "cement" (Flour, water and sand mixed up) sand, gravel and broken tiles (a smashed plate) Then he added another layer of "cement" and placed the paving stones and kerb stones. He then filled in with gravel. Then we baked it (to set the "cement" for about 45 minutes.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now we have a rock cake ;) It's cooling at the moment, but we're hoping when it's cool we can take it out of the pan and see the layers.

Tomorrow we'll be watching the Gladiator and possibly Alexander and we'll be finished studying Rome.

Thanks ya'll, for all the great compliments to B on his first FO =) It meant a lot to him!

2 comment(s):

  • mmm mmm baked road. For those who lack minerals in their diet! Sounds like you guys are getting the hang of homeschoolin'.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:31 AM  

  • That is so cool! And I learned something too! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope it comes out after backing and would love to see a picture! Great project home schooling mom! I love it.

    By Blogger Heather, at 2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home