Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Friday, September 30, 2005

Math problem

I gave B a math problem today. Told him if he solves it correctly, he gets the rest of the day off. (We've covered everything I'd planned for the week anyway) We've been working on words problems lately, so since this is an answer I needed, I figured why not let him solve it and in the process see how math is used in everyday life.

Here's the problem:

I have 29 days left till the craft fair. How many hours are in 29 days?

I need to crochet no less than 15 hats (which take 2 hours each) 5 scarves (4 hours each) 2 hanger sets (2 and a half hours each) and 20 chapstick covers (a half hour each)... how many hours will this take?

I sleep about 8 hours per night. How many hours do I sleep in 29 days?

I also do other things besides crochet, I spend 2 hours each day waking up, I also spend 4 hours per day on schooling, plus cooking and other things so lets say 2 hours a day, I spend about 2 hours a day surfing the web too. How many hours per month so I do these things?

So how many hours can I actually spend crocheting in the next month?

Is it enough to accomplish the goal?
If yes, how many extra hours would I have?
If no, how many more hours do I need?

If yes, how many things can I make?
If no, how many things would I not be able to make if I can't find more hours?


I've obviously already worked the problem. I'm in good shape for the fair =)

Editing to add, it took him about 45 minutes and some help to solve it. I now have a much better idea of what we need to work on. He got very frustrated at first, but once I showed him to just take it step by step and how to organize it (he was sticking problems all over and not showing which answer went to which question so he had no idea which numbers to use together) he had a much easier time. So we'll be working a bit more on word problems for a while. I think he did pretty well though, all in all.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home