Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Kids, crochet, and mail goodies

The first signs of dis-enchantment (with homeschooling) showed up today in B. We had a bit of a talk because he's feeling a bit lonely, missing the classroom noise and distraction (fun yanno lol) and is generally frustrated that he's not seeing many kids. Some of the kids he used to play with have moved away, others no longer hang out withhim because of his theft issues a while back, a lot of kids his age are getting out of the "go outside and play" stage and just want to hang out indoors on some game or another, and then of couse, there are some he just plain doesn't like.

At this point there are four kids his age that he plays with. Two of these kids are firends with each other, the third doesn't really hang out with the other two but they get along when they happen to be around one another, and the fourth kid I just discovered today, no one likes or will talk to and they're starting to give B crap for spending time with this boy. He's a sweet kid, rather like B in that he's small for his age and somewhat reserved. But the other boys call him names and say things, so now suddenly B doesn't want to hang out with him if the other boys can see him (he'll go to the boy's house or have the boy over here, but just doesn't want to be *seen* with him)

I dunno what to do with that... my first instinct is "why do you want to let them determine who you hang out with?" and I did say that, but backed up and made it sound more like curiosity than anger.... I want him to talk to me after all, and so I had to explain to him that I really wanted to understand.

He's worried that the other kids will ostracize him like they have the other boy, and since he has so few kids to play with as it is, he's just flat out unsure what to do.

I dunno what to tell him, I basically said things like "that must be hard" and let him know I'm here to listen, even if I have no sage words of advice. So at the moment, he's in his room. One of the boys just came and rang the bell and B was pretty short with him when he said he didnt want to go outside. I can tell he's mad that they are putting him in this position. Dammit, the mommy in me wants to fix this for him, but I know I can't. He's got to work it out on his own. I can offer him advice and opinions, but the final choice rests with him.

I sure hope the next year passes quickly. I know that moving doesn't solve all problems, but damn, we've all been miserable and lonely since we've been over here. It's just been one damned thing after another and by the Gods, I am ready to be home, on familiar turf.

K, 'nuff of that. I'm just feelin' the kiddo's pain I gues lol

On the crochet front, I got another scarf done this weekend, and a few other little things. I sat down today and took inventory of what all I have. It still doesn't seem like much when it's laid out, but when I added up the dollar amount (based on what I'm charging for each item) I have nearly $600 worth of merchandise sitting in my bedroom. I still need hats, lots of hats, and a few scarves. I haven't even started on chapstick keyrings yet either... or bookmarks and I really want to have some of each.

Today I started on a shrug, in a girl's size (I used B as a measureing guide lol) in a pretty yellow Caron Simply Soft. I'm only about two inches into it so far though.

I'm thinking, even though I have right at a month before the fair, I'm not sure if I'll have enough or too much of anything, so what I think I'll do is take my laptop with. I'll set up a screen saver with pics of various different things and let people place orders if they want something I don't have or have sold out of already. If there's enough interest that is. Better to be prepared though I figure. Granted, folks are more likely to be interested in what they can see/touch but who knows.

Ooohh! Hubby just got home a little bit ago and my order from Smiley's Yarns came in finally! I had to have it mailed to my friend in Ohio, then she got sick and was out of commission for a week, so I've been waiting for a while, but it's finally here! I got:

6 balls of LB Imagine in Cocoa

3 balls of Cervino Sorrento in Claret

4 of the same in Denim Heather

5 in Black

3 in Plum

2 Patons Classic Wool in black and 2 in Natural

Then there were 8 pattern books, mostly sweaters, mostly knit (some with crochet in them but still knit) but a couple are afghan patterns. The sweaters are awesome though, so I might just have to maybe try that knitting business again.

There were also 2 sets of knitting needles, those are some mighty skinny needles though... I'm thinkin I need big fat ones lol. And also a J afghan hook, which tickles me because I have been wanting that size!


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Not a bad haul for just under $50! I'm leaving it all in the box till after the craft fair though because these yarns are for meeeeeeeeee. The LB Imagine is gonna be a nice shawl for me. The wool is going to be a felted.... something. Maybe a bag, maybe a hat. I'll be dying the natural of course ;) The others are just stash enhancement. I was out of black yarn, other than scrap bits here and there that aren't much in yardage. The claret and the plum I just liked lol. After the craft fair I'll be doing more stash enhancement so at that point I'll either get more of those colors or something to compliment them so I can use them for something. Though I bet there's enough there for a couple of pairs of socks for the winter *g* it's cooling off enough that I am already thinking about making more lol.

Hubby says I'm gonna have to learn to knit because (his words) I've "already mastered crochet" ROFL mastered it! It sure was nice to hear him say that, it means he's definately noticed how much improvement I have made in the past year. But mastered? Not even close! I find new things to learn all the time! New stitches, techniques, patterns to try. I doubt I will ever "master" crochet enough to become bored with it =)

After this craft fair, when I have more time to devote to it, I think I may attempt knitting again though. I got frustrated and bored with it last year because it took forever to see any inches gained, but I think the needles I was using were just way to small. I need something equal to a J hook or bigger, for a first project, just so I can see something come out of those hours of work. If I ever get good enough and like it enough, then I can move to smaller needles. But that's all a ways off so not something I am going to concern myself with right now. I'm just rambling lol.

Time to get off here now and get back to this shrug. Ya'll have a great week!

And Kari, hun I know you're offline already, but I'm thinkin' of ya'll! Hope you have a safe move and everything goes smoothly!

1 comment(s):

  • I don't know about you, but sometimes the mail is the best part of my day! :)

    By Blogger Joy, at 2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home