Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Sunday, February 06, 2005

My day with Anna

I was way to tired last night to blog about my day, but it was AWESOME.

I met Anna at the train station yesterday morning at 10:00. We shopped right off the bat for me some thermal underwear *g* she knew just what I needed to get and where to find it. I was so happy when I walked up to the register with those things! They aren't like the waffle type things we have back in the states. These are very thin fabric, made of wool (but not a bit itchy) and the ones I got are like shorts. Exactly what I needed as it's my butt and thighs that get so damn cold.

After that we went to a cafe and had coffee, talked and looked over a tourist book to check out possible places to visit. A bit more walking, checking out some stores... my Gods there are a lot of stores and shops down there!

After a while we decided to hunt down the yarn shops. The first one was off the main shopping road a ways, so we walked and walked, checking the map Anna had and the directions I had written down. We made one wrong turn, but Anna speaks German very well so she stopped a guy and asked him which direction we should be going in, he pointed us where we needed to go, and off we went.

That first shop was a tiny little room, of *nice* yarns. It was a knitting shop. Nothing but yarn and a few finished sweaters in there. Oh and she had some buttons in the display case, but we couldn't see them for all the yarn on the counter lol. We oooh'd and ahhh'd and petted and dreamed. There was Cashemere, Silk, Alpaca, and Wool. A little bit of cotton yarn, and even a small ball of denim. Nothing was priced. I've always known that in most cases, if you have to ask the salesperson the price, it's probably out of my budget lol. Pretty much the case here too.

Don't get me wrong, we did *not* walk out of there empty handed *g* Anna got herself some nice stuff (which I am assuming she will blog) and I got myself some Noro. Got two balls of Kuryeon and one of the Silk Garden. See:


We left there and headed back to the main shopping area. Next we hunted down a shop called the Wolle und Tee (Yup that'd be Wool and Tea in English) Yup, she had wool and tea for sale lol. She also had some *fiber*! Oh I was such a happy woman. I restrained myself and only bought 100g of this:
It looks a bit orange in the pic. but it's actually bright, primary red. I guess the Valentine's bug had bitten me bc I don't normally go for primary colors, much less red. I had to have this though. She also had the other primary colors, plsu some natural and I think I recall seeing some grey down there in a basket. I'll be going back to that shop again heheheh. She had a slightly bigger selection of yarns in her shop, and not quite so out of our price range. Anna got some stuff there too. I dreamed a bit but only got the red fluff this time. I'll go back because she had everything, from ribbon yarn to sock yarn, wool to cotton. Her stuff was priced, and it smelled good in there *g*

Let's see, After we left there we had lunch, which was quite good. I love that unlike in American resturaunts you can just sit and chat for as long as you want. They don't bring you your check and all but shove you out the door like back home. When you're ready to pay, you ask for the check. They don't bug you to death while you sit there. If you need/want something you catch their eye and they come, but otherwise they leave you be to enjoy your meal and just have a nice long talk. You can sit there for hours and they don't mind.

After lunch we walked on a bit and lo' and behold we happened upon yet another yarn store! This one wasn't on my list lol. Bonus yarn shopping! Anna said this store is where she buys her yarns up in Frankfurt. They had a *huge* selection, I mean huge. They even had hooks/needles and other notions. I could have gone wild in there lol. I will SO be going back to that store *g* I got a couple of things in there. Got this to go on the beret I'm making:

Then this for a lady who wants a baby blanket:


Then I got a ball of sock yarn. The picture didn't come out very well so you can just imagine it *g*. It's blue with flecks in it. You'll be seeing some socks before to much longer heheheh.

We also both picked up some things for our secret pals, did some RAOK shopping too. I got a couple of things to send out to "Pay it Forward" but of course I can't show that ;)

By this time it was getting late in the day so we decided we'd head back to the train station and come to my house for a while. Hubby had made dinner for us =) As we walked down the street, we noticed this: We'd walked past it several times and not really noticed it, other than it was a big slab or rock. This time we were walking straight towards it so we finally saw what it was. Heh, yeah we both took pics *g*

So after that, we came to my house. We hung out a while, wound some of the yarns Anna bought (bc she doesn't have a winder and this yarn came in hanks) got a few giggles as we worked with it too cuz we kept getting tangles and knots. After trying several ways to hold the yarn on the chairs and such, we finally ended up with one of us holding the yarn on spread out hands while the other wound. Still got a few giggles and knots, but it was kinda fun.

We eventually ate the dinner hubby had cooked while we were out. He made ribs. Yuuuuuuuum. With Rice and Green Beans on the side.

About 9 last night we left the house to head back to her train. After a long cold wait for the bus (well I don't have a bus schedule handy lol so we didn't know what time to get there) we got her to her 10PM train with just minutes to spare.

It was a lovely day all around. The weather cooperated, though it was cold, the sun shone most of the day and it wasn't frigid cold or snowing. We had a great time shopping and talking and walking. I'm so glad she came down to see me!

Today will be spent relaxing, and playing with my new yarns and roving. I really want to finish the beret. Plan to spin a bit of that pretty red fluff. We'll see what else may happen today =)

I hope ya'll have a wonderful day!

5 comment(s):

  • Wow! Sounds like an awesome day! I remember I enjoyed wandering through and browsing all the little shops in Germany. They always had such fun stuff. :) I'm glad you were able to get out and do that!

    By Blogger noricum, at 8:09 AM  

  • That sounds like quite the adventure!! I love wondering around a new place and shopping!!

    By Blogger Hunny, at 8:25 AM  

  • That's quite a rock right there in the street! Oh yeah, the yarn's great, too. Glad you had so much fun! Indulging in an addiction with a friend is so much more fun!

    SamplerLady
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/samplerlady/
    http://literarylady.blogspot.com/
    "To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong." Joseph Chilton Pierce


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:03 AM  

  • Marvie, how cool is this! Sounds like you had a great day and I'm envious you founf another yarnie to share it with! I wish someone was near me.

    I am also quite envious of that Noro yarn. I want to get some so badly I can taste it. I don't want to order online cause I wanna feel it first (as weird as that sounds)

    Glad you had such a fab time

    Hugs


    By Blogger Deneen, at 10:30 AM  

  • Sounds like such a wonderful time!

    What a weekend you had!

    Glad you had fun and were able to share your hobby with someone!

    ~Your Secret Pal


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home