Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Thursday, December 16, 2004

Thursday was supposed to be quiet

A nice quiet stay at home day so I could re-charge after the field trip. Not gonna happen. I have to go to the main base and mail off my In-Laws package as well as the Wish List packages. It's ccol though =) I'm really looking forward to getting these things in the mail and seeing reactions when they arrive. Not that it's much mind you, just little things but if it makes someone else happy, it makes me happy.

I just have to say, I have been having the BEST time since I joined Crochetville. I had been bored to tears before, nothing much going on in my life, nothing much to look forward to, just blah. Then I found a most wonderful place to get advice and share my crochet passion. It has turned into so much more. The people of that board are such sweet, caring individuals, the love just pours out. I look forward to popping in there several times a day just to see what is going on. I've gotten help when I was stuck, praise from people who really know what I've gone through (hubby tells me how nice things are but doesn't really get it) to finish a project, I've been able to share what little I know with others, when I have a bad day someone's always there to send a virtual hug, I get to see what cool, fun, wonderful things other people are coming up with, inspiration abounds =)

Then there's the swaps. That is just so much fun I can't even describe it. I love sharing something I made with another crocheter. I signed up for the Hat swap, which starts after the holidays. That's going to be so much fun! I can't decide which hat to make yet. There are so many choices =) We've talked about doing a swap for the kids too, that would be great. My son would really enjoy that.

My husband doesn't understand any of this. Now, I met him online, via a girl I'd chatted with for a couple of years but had never met in person (though we did eventually meet and are very good friends now). Hubby and I emailed for a while, then met, and eventually married. In spite of that though, he just does not understand online friendships. He doesn't understand how I can call someone a friend when I've not met them in real life. He doesn't get the joy I feel when I am in a store and see something for my Secret Pal. He doesn't understand the Wish List at all, even though I've tried to explain it to him, the sentiment behind it and all. He's not dense, really, I think it's just the simple fact that to him all these people are just names on a monitor. He doesn't deny me my fun and pleasures though. He smiles when I get a package and get as excited as a child presented with a gift. He says "yes Dear" when I want to buy some little something for a complete stranger and mail it to them. He may not understand, but he knows it's important to me. He's really the best hubby a girl could have =) (even if he is kinda clueless *g*)

Well, before I get off of here I have some non-crochet stuff. Ya'll remember the problems my son's been having in school? Well it hasn't gotten any better. He's still doing fine in the male teacher's class, Language arts and Social Studies, but the Math Science and Health class is still giving us issues. Progress reports came out again and he is still failing Math, though he brought his grade up almost 20 points, he still has D's in Science and Health.

Now, he's been going to tutoring every evening for math, I've been checking his planner daily and signing it. I've tried to stay in touch with his teachers via notes and email. She never reposnds to notes, I don't get emails from her, she doesn't sign his planner unless she's gotten onto him that day (when she's supposed to be signing it daily as agreed upon at our conference).....

The problem seems to be the one teacher. For one, this is her first year teaching. She's prior Army. She's impatient, doesn't explain things more than once, won't repeat instructions when asked nicely, and doesn't follow through on helping the kids. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but aren't teachers supposed to actually teach? It seems like this woman is just trying to get from one lesson to the next, without bothering to see if the kids have grasped the first thing. I know enough to know that math builds upon itself, if you don't get one thing, the next will be harder, and the next will be even harder etc.etc. My kid is not the only one with these problems btw. A couple of parents have pulled their kids out of school over this woman.

Last night we were talking about the problems the kiddo's having and he started crying. He was crying too hard to speak, though he was trying to tell us something, so he sobbed for a bit then asked for paper to write it down. We gave him paper and pencil and he wrote "The reason I want to be homeschooled is because I don't like Mrs._____ (leaving name out) at least I think that's the problem" When questioned as to whether it's herself as a person he objects to or how she teaches he said how she teaches and listed several things that he has complaints about, all of which I listed above along with the things I as a parent have problems with.

Hubby and I talked long and hard about this issue last night. I'd pull my son out of that class in a heartbeat if I thought I could do him any good at home. I'm just afraid I don't have what it takes to homeschool him. I want to try other options first, but if it comes down to it I will give it a try. At this point I think anything would be better than what he's going through right now.

So first we're going to get a conference with the principal right after the holiday. We want him to know what's going on. I plan to pop into the class one day to observe the teacher, though my son tells me that when there's someone in the room she acts completely different than when she's alone. So I think I'll hover in the hallway for a few minutes first and listen, just to see what I hear. I'm also going to talk with his tutor, she pulled her kid out of school because of this teacher, and there just might be a chance that she could school him in these subjects. I'd pay anything she asked if she would.

I'm open to any suggestions out there. I've never had to deal with anything like this before and don't really know what to do. I just want my happy kid back. He used to love school, and science and math particularly. I'm so frustrated.

Well, I just looked at the clock and realized I have to hurry or I'll miss the bus! Akk! Hope ya'll have a great day!

3 comment(s):

  • Sometimes a teacher and student just don't work well together. My kindergarten class had two teachers. My mom often while I was growing up would talk about how she went to a parent/teacher(s) conference and the one would talk about what a horrible child I was how I wouldn't mind wouldn't listen and was just all around a bad kid. Upon talking to the other you would think I was the most bright gifted well behaved child ever... Two teachers, one class... Mom always said the one teacher and I just didn't get along.
    I think you are doing right to meet w/the principal. One might come to the agreement with the school to just change classes? If that can't be done there SHOULD be someway to remedy this. I cannot imagine how hard this has t be for your son and you guys.
    Sending positive energy your way.


    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:13 AM  

  • I know what you're saying about your online (C'Ville) friends. I really never joined any groups on line before until I started crocheting and found Crochetville. I am amazed everyday how nice, caring and devoted everyone is to one another. I have met some awesome people on Crochetville!!! My husband doesn't "get it", but he's supportive in every way (although he thinks I'm a little off sometimes).

    Smooches


    By Blogger Deneen, at 7:47 AM  

  • It's sad when you end up with a "bad apple"... but maybe there's hope for her? You said this is her first year teaching, so maybe she just needs some help? Since it's more than just your son having problems, I don't think pulling him out of the school is going to solve the real problem. What if you and the other children's parents volunteered as teacher assistants? It would take a time commitment, but not as much as if each of you individually home schooled your kids.

    Teaching can be a rough job. Sure, the classroom time may not be very long, but those who love the job put way more hours into teaching than just the classroom time. My mom was a teacher before she retired. When she first started out, she enjoyed it, but the last few years before her retirement were really rough... the parents would yell at her when she tried to call them about their kids, and the administration was supporting the parents rather than the teachers. This was happening to all the teachers at my mom's school. My mom retired at 55, the earliest possible, as a result.

    This situation is somewhat different, with a "bad" teacher and "good" parents, but by making her feel "attacked", she may get more defensive, and the stress may even make her a worse teacher.

    Your kid says that the teacher behaves differently when someone else is in the class... so having a volunteer there all the time may help remind her to be her best, until it becomes second nature to her. Just make sure that the suggestion of having parent volunteers doesn't sound like "punishment". It could be that she just needs a little help, at least until she gets her stride.

    I hope you and your family have a nice Christmas.


    By Blogger noricum, at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home