Financial Diet
So, I figured out our finances. I totaled up our bills, estimated how much it's going to cost os per month once we return home, and decided we couldn't afford it with the payments we are already making. So, I developed a plan that will get us out from under everything except the car payment (which will be done June of '07 anyway) We'll be very very broke from now till moving day, well beyond that really. But, once we settle in at home we should be fine. We'll be able to afford the inflated cost of living, high rent (or house payment) and everything. It took me many hours of computations, lots and lots of paper, but I worked it out. Presented it to hubby. He balked, till he saw the numbers on the living expenses page, then he was all for it. We made a few minor changes to my first final draft, and last night I came up with the final final draft. Did I mention we're going to be very very broke?I had to be really strict with our money. Our grocery budget is small, just $75 a week. I can make that work though. Hubby said he will turn the shopping over to me bc he knows he could never stick to that. We'll have a small amount of money left over after bills and groceries are taken care of. Hopefully, it'll be enough to cover things we didn't think of.
The tightest time will be May and June. That is when kiddo and I are going back to the states. So every spare penny will be for us while we're there. I'll be saving as much as I can between now and then for that trip too. I figure I should have about $150 a week. Doesn't seem like much. I made the trip last time (2.5 weeks) with just $300 spending money though. Granted, we probably won't be able to afford any fun side trips to water parks (but the beach is free) and such, but at least we'll be home! We'll take the miitary flights, which is the only reason we can even afford to do this at all. I'll have my yarn allowance plus the leftover budget money and anything hubby can spare from his budget. I planned it so that we each have nearly the same amount of money during that time, but his expenses will be low since he won't be cooking etc. so he thinks he'll be able to shore up my budget with some of his. The only thing I really have to spend money on is getting the boy school clothes for next year. I'll hit thrift shops, sales and such. Hopefully I can get enough to tide him over for those months till we move back. I'm figuring on a $200 budget for shoes and clothes for him. Might score in June, I plan to try to spend that month in Ohio and my friend there has a son B's age and he's a tad bit bigger than B so we might inherit some of his clothes. Not counting on it, but if it happens it's a bonus.
Come August we'll make the final large payment on the first bill, October will see the other two paid off. So November will see us with our whole paycheck back. Though at that point we'll be socking it all away in preperation for the big move. If all goes as planned we should have close to $8,000 (including next year's tax refund) for moving expenses.
This Financial Diet of course automatically puts me on an enforced Yarn Diet. My first ever real yarn diet. Fortunately, I have a decent sized stash. I just got in the order for the rest of hubby's blanket yarn too. I doubt I will crochet/knit much in May and June while I am gone (though I am taking supplies just in case) and I really doubt I'll do much in July and August due to the heat factor. So I think I'll be ok. If I break out in hives like I did when I tried to quit smoking though.... well ya'll may hear some whining ;) I think it'll be fine though.
We'll both have to stop all forms of recreational spending though. It'll be hardest for hubby. He will have his own allowance though, so as long as he doesn't mess up my budget I'll be fine.
On the homeschooling front... B is completely finished with Language Arts =) We're working through the last bit of the Math and so far so good. He took a practice test today, and though he missed nearly half the questions, we haven't finished the sections so I expected it. He did quite well on the things we've already covered and made some good guesses on a few things we hadn't. I'll be ordering the achievement test in the next couple of days so he can take it before we leave. The results will arrive while we're gone. Then next year we'll give public school a try. I've already told him that if he decides he wants to homeschool again we can. He really wants to go back to school though, so that's what we'll do. We said we'd try it for a year. My goal was to hopefully get him up to speed in math, which we won't know till after we see the test whether or not I managed that. If I have at least removed his fear of math I will count myself happy and the goal met.
It's been a great year, his behavior has been outstanding. No issues. Oh, sure he's had to be reminded of a few things (personal hygeine, once or twice curfew or rules about letting us know where he plans to be when he's outdoors) but he hasn't been grounded at all. His attitude has vastly improved. I am very proud of my boy =) And yup, I tell him so.
K, got to get off here. I need to get working on hubby's blanket and my neighbor wants to come over for coffee now that B has finished his test.
If anyone feels the urge to send out positive energies for us in the coming months while we go through this financial diet, I'll happily take 'em lol. It's gonna be rough, but We Can Do This! =)
{{Hugs}}






2 comment(s):
Ohio huh? What part of Ohio? We're not to far from Ohio.
By
Unknown, at
6:47 AM
Hey a little yarn stash can go a long way. :)
By
Anonymous, at
12:45 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home