Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Thursday, December 30, 2004

Help, need advice!

K I posted this at Crochetville under gadgets... but I'm putting it here too.

Hubby has given me a choice. He's ready to buy my bday present. He was all set to get me a new computer desk, which I really want and need. I've described my desk that isn't a desk here before I think. A short book shelf in front of the cabinet/counter that divides our kitchen and dining room (which is more of an office lol) monitor on the counter, crap that would normally be in a desk (papers, calendars etc) on the window ledge beside me. Not very attractive, though it's functioning to a certain degree.

The desk we've looked at is a very nice corner job, pull out keyboard shelf, shelves for stuff, door for tower, plenty of writing surface (which I am lacking now and is very important to me in a desk) the whole nine yards. I really like it and want it.

So I said thank you nicely and said well I was gonna mention these really cool wooden hooks I wanted, but I'll ask for those for mom's day instead. His curiosity aroused, I showed him TOTC's web site. He was appalled that a single hook is priced at 12.00 and as I was clicking on pages and explaining how great these hooks are and how they really are worth the money, we discovered Bill sells SETS. 6 hooks in a nice wood case lined in velvet. For about the same price as hubby was about to spend on the desk. So he says I can have one or the other.

Desk

Set of TOTC hooks

Gods! How's a girl to choose???????????

So my question is, what would YOU do if given this choice in the same situation?

11 comment(s):

  • I'd grab up them hooks, I read somewhere he was talking about raising prices.
    Then I'd go find a cheapo desk somewhere in a few months lol!

    I'm wicked I know, we have a big big office desk as our computer desk but it isn't ours the landlord said he would just have to store it so he let us use it as long as we are here.


    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:30 PM  

  • Had to add while I was typing that comment my yarn winder was placed outside my door!!!! WOOHOO

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:31 PM  

  • Hmmm... tough choice!

    Pros of desk: better ergonomics, more space for writing and stuff.
    Cons of desk: will it come back with you when you move home from Germany? (I'm not sure how long you plan to be there.)

    Pros of hooks: nifty hooks, can easily be packed when moving.
    Cons of hooks: you already have functional hooks, and you don't know whether you'll actually prefer the feel of them over your current hooks.

    I think if it were me, I'd go for the desk... after all, if you get carpal tunnel, then you can't crochet even with nifty hooks. And if you haven't been spoiled by nice hooks, you don't know what you're missing. (Don't take that last bit too seriously... I've never used TOTC hooks, so I have no idea how much you or I would or would not like them.)


    By Blogger noricum, at 5:10 PM  

  • i say, get the desk and one hook. see if you like that one before investing in a set. i have purchased hooks from several different people on ebay and all of them looked just wonderful and had many great reviews but i have only found 2 makers who i really like (i have bought from 6 or so). mother's day isn't that far away if you really do like the hook. if you get one and don't - i highly recommend Ozarktwist on eBay (in aluminum hooks i like boye better than bates and i think his are more like boye).

    By Blogger Lynlee, at 5:37 PM  

  • PS: ozarktwist is the "brand" - you can search for it. the seller is papadonh.

    By Blogger Lynlee, at 5:38 PM  

  • As much as I would love TOTC hooks, the desk is better for now. You already have hooks you're using and are working out well for you. Obviously, your desk situation is a lot worse off. I would just buy the hooks one at a time.

    By Blogger Deneen, at 9:13 PM  

  • Sad to say I would go for the desk. But that is just me!

    By Blogger Hunny, at 9:39 PM  

  • Desk and one hook. Can't beat that cause you get both of what you want:)
    ~DAWN


    By Blogger DAWN, at 11:15 AM  

  • Step 1 - go to Ikea
    Step 2 - purchase cheap computer desk set up (we've got one!)
    Step 3 - have enough left over to order hooks (maybe not a whole set, but you're fav sizes)
    Step 4 - make hubby VERY happy that he made you so happy! *nudge, nudge, wink, wink*


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:14 PM  

  • Ha! Anonymous has the right idea! ;-)

    By Blogger Deb, at 10:12 PM  

  • It would be easier for a member of Crochetville to grant a future wish of a TOTC crochet hook or two than to grant a wish of a computer desk. Just a thought if you wouldn't mind getting one hook at a time or didn't need the box from the boxed set.

    I think the suggestion to try one of the hooks first is best. I got a wooden hook, one of the Brittany hooks, and I couldn't stand it. Best to try one out to make sure you're gonna like using it.

    Everyone was raving about Profi steel hooks for thread crochet, so I got one. I just didn't care for it at all. My favorite hooks are Clover Soft Touch hooks and will rave about them to anyone wants to hear about them.

    ~ Lori
    www.homeburrough.org


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home