Marvie's Crochet Corner |
|
Previous
|
Wednesday, November 10, 2004
Mornin' all...
Well the snow came, some of it stuck, and it is still coming down. It's mostly melting, but the cars in the parking lot were covered with about a half inch this morning, the ground was dusted with snow, and the kiddo had to wake me up to tell me about it lol. Well he also wanted his hat. I thought I'd finished it last night, but he went to bed early (on his own) and so I couldn't try it on him to check. Needless to say it's too short so I am going to add a couple more rows today. He wanted a black hat, he wanted it in sc to keep the snow off his head (he likes his other hat, which is dc but said the snow was getting to him on the playground) so I started out with sc, but it was soooo stiff I just couldn't make myself do the whole thing in sc. So I tossed in a few rows of hdc, did a couple more rows of sc, then more hdc, etc. which softened it up a bit, yet didn't give it so much stretch as to allow wetness to reach his head. I'll have to see it on him to know if it turned out ok. I didn't actually open my eyes when he woke me. I kinda sorta followed a pattern, but he takes after his mama and has a big head, so I winged it some. Looking at the thing last night, it looked to big and I just wasn't sure about that top part in sc. So we'll see. I started one of Dot's hats for myself last night too. I have been dying to make her Ponytail Hat, because some days are just ponytail days and I hate having to take my hair down so I can wear a hat to keep me warm. This is the perfect solution. So I grabbed the white Wool Ease from my stash (white so it goes with everything, Wool Ease since it's soooo dang cold already) and set to work. I dug out the only small rubber band in my house (since I have no girl children I don't usually have little hair stuff) and went to work. Now... the first thing that has me stumped is that on her pattern she says TWO small rubber bands. I haven't yet figured out where the second one would go, and since I don't happen to have a second one it's really no biggie. The second issue, when I followed her pattern, by the end of the 8th row I had what looked like a cover for a roll of TP... it was NOT big enough for my fat head. So I frogged. Then I decided that a single strand of Wool Ease was nice, but wouldn't it be nice doubled? Oh so soft and warm. So I grabbed a second ball. I started over, and added another row of increase... wanna know what I got?? I got a TACO. Yup. A taco. So I frogged again. At that point I had a killer headache (NOT because of the pattern though! It had been developing all night.) so I stopped and went to bed. I am going to go back to this taco hat as soon as I finish brat boy's hat. I'm thinking maybe I should just go up a hook size instead of adding the increase row?? I'll have to get in touch with Dot and see what she thinks, but I read on her blog recently that her mom is coming to visit and I don't want to bug her when she has so much to do.... maybe I can figure this out on my own... or with help from whoever has any thoughts *grin* Oh, and For Trish, who wondered about Goofball's understanding of English.... weeell he has learned a lot of English since we got him, and like a typical toddler, NO was his first lol. I don't know enough German to talk to him in his native language though, so he's been forced to come to understand us ;) I have to say though, whenever a German speaker (such as a repairman) comes in the house, Mr. Nosy is right up in their business to see what they are up to and when they start crooning to him in German (which so far each and every one has!) He just goes into spasms of joy =) And Jenn, if we actually do ever hook the Husky (who's name is Sissy) to the sled, I can promise there WILL be pics lol. I'm not counting on it happening though, Sissy has to be on her leash/harness at all times and carefully watched otherwise she contorts herself and escapes her harness. I saw her do it one time and she scared the stuffin' out of me (not to mention her mommy!) We live right beside a busy street, and the field where they were walking is not fenced. There were mounted Polezi (police) and Sissy REALLY wanted to see the big dogs (aka horses) so she slipped her harness and hauled butt. Straight for the street! Fortuantely, she realized the big dogs had cut across the field (away from said street) so she veered right and went for them. Disaster averted, but it was a close call! Her mommy was yelling for her to stop, stay, come, but Sissy had eyes and ears only for the horses. The polezi saw her coming and very kindly stopped the horses and waited. Sissy got to check them out while her mom caught up and finally got her back on her restraint. Soooo unless we can find a safe place to experiment, I can't see it happening unfortunately =( On the up side though... it's very hilly here, and there's a part of our base that is all open field with a sorta steep hill where the kids will be able to sled and stuff. Someone told us that the MP's take old mattresses and tie them around the few trees out there and the kids have a blast. Brat boy can't wait for enough snow to get to sled down that hill lol. He's really hoping we get some "good" snow soon. Ugh. I'm NOT! It'll happen anyway though lol. I'll have to resign myself to it. I have to keep myself busy today. Remember last week when I mentioned my hubby's issues? Well today is the day. I won't know a thing till this evening though, and later than usual too. He goes in front of the Colonel at 5 this evening. My tummy is already in knots. I can only imagine how he is feeling. Why on Earth does it have to be so late in the day? All I can really say about the issue here is that he did something he shouldn't have, and now his whole career is on the line. He's been in the Navy for 15 years, his goal was to retire at 30 years as an E-9 (he's an E-6 now) and with this issue, he seriously doubts he'll ever make his goal. It's highly doubtful he'd get kicked out over this issue, but he could get busted in rank and other things. Needless to say, I'm seriously stressed out. Of course, so is he. The worst part is, there's not a damn thing I can do for him. I've let him know that no matter what, I'm here for him and we'll make it through no matter what hapens. It just doesn't feel like enough. I want to be there for this thing, but he asked me not to go. I hate that. I have to honor his wishes though. So here I'll be, at home, worrying myself to death till he gets home to give me the news. I think I'll go clean something now.... Hope you all have a great day =) |
3 comment(s):
Good luck to you both.
BTW thanks for the link for the cobweb duster looks cool! I think I'll make one for me and for the grown kids.
By
Unknown, at
6:29 AM
By
Trish, at
11:19 AM
By
Trish, at
11:19 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home