Track referers to your site with referer.org free referrer feed.

Marvie's Crochet Corner

Friday, October 20, 2006

Foodie Friday - Perfect Rice

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This is a problem I've had for years... yucky rice. I couldn't even get it right with Instant Rice. I had some slight success with bagged stuff, but just never was happy with it. Then I discovered How to cook Perfect Rice.

A few highlights:

1. "For every cup of rice, use 1-1/2 to 2 cups of water (less if the rice is washed first). You'll need to experiment a little to find the amount you like best, but in general, use the larger amount for long-grain rice, the lesser for medium and short. Keep in mind that more water gives you softer, stickier rice--great for stir-fries. Less water will keep the grains more separate and result in firmer rice, a good style for rice salads."

2. Use a sturdy pot with a tight-fitting lid
You want a pot with a heavy base for the most even cooking, and one that's big enough to provide plenty of room above the rice for steam. A tight lid keeps the steam in. If your lid fits loosely, put a clean kitchen cloth between the lid and the pot. (Be sure to fold it over onto the pot so it doesn't burn.) The cloth also absorbs the water that would normally condense on the inside of the lid and fall back down into the rice, so this is also a good trick to get drier, fluffier rice."

3. "Once all the ingredients are combined, cover the rice and let it simmer. On an electric stove, use two burners: bring the rice to a boil on a hot burner and then immediately slide it to a burner set on low to continue cooking at a slow simmer.

After about 12 minutes, the liquid should be absorbed, and the rice still al dente. If you served the rice now, you'd find the top layer drier and fluffier than the bottom, which can be very moist and fragile. Here's where you need patience. Let the rice sit off the heat, undisturbed with the lid on, for at least 5 minutes and for as long as 30. This results in a uniform texture, with the bottom layers as fluffy as the top. That a pot of rice actually improves with a rest also gives you more flexibility for cooking the rest of the meal."

At the very end of the article there are a few tips to salvage not so perfect rice. Very handy tips if you happen to be like me ;)

As many of you know (since I've babbled about it often) our family has given up processed foods (rice a roni and such) so I have experimented a bit with flavoring our rice dishes myself. I find I much prefer it now, less sodium and more flavor.

I just toss a few seasonings into the water with the rice and it cooks right in. I've even managed to make myself enjoy brown rice by doing this!

Happy cooking!

2 comment(s):

  • mmmMMMmmm I love rice. Thanks for the tips!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:23 AM  

  • I cheated and bought a rice cooker after that one time when I forgot about the rice and burned the hell out of both the rice and the pan. :-> (The smell was horrible, and it took a week of daily scrubbing with steel wool to salvage the pan.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home