I bought myself a present
Check it out =)
I fell in love with the homespun... it was soooo damn soft, and that blue is just gorgeous. I stood there at the yarn corner and debated with myself for a very long time, I don't really NEED more yarn, I have a boatload of it, but I don't have anything this yummy... but hubby didn't really give me a limit on spending, I did ask how much I could spend and he gave me practically no response... "whatever" is not really a response is it? So I splurged. I got the blue.. then I noticed the Festive Fur on the top shelf (which is above my head so it had escaped my notice at first) and the white ponytail hat popped into my head. Has this ever happened to you? Here I was just looking at the festive fur and suddenly a picture of that hat was right there in my head. It was telling me it NEEDED something more. Well I am not one to ignore my instincts so I quickly grabbed a black one, though they had several other colors, black was the best choice I think. I didn't want to end up looking like a walking Yule tree, which is probably what the silver or gold would have made me look like, the white was very nice too, but the hat and my so pale complection needed something to give it life. Red was very pretty too, but I wanted it to go with everything. So black it was. There was more debating as the fur was more expensive than the homespun was.... but it had spoken to me, so it was meant to be right? Right. So It came home with me too *g*
I also picked up some really nice ________ for my Secret Pal. An a ________ which I don't think she already has and I plan to make a ______ for it. Then as I was checking out I happend to see these _____________, so I just had to get those for her too. (so that was meant to allow me to talk about what I bought without giving anything away... did it work??)
I did good, I only spent $22.00 in there. Of course, as I said yesterday, they don't give you a lot of choices, so it really wasn't all that hard to restrain myself. They had several colors of Homespun, a few colors of Wool-Ease (and I did think hard about the nice red but passed for the moment) they had quite a few choices for Fun Fur and Festive Fur, two colors of Chenille, two skiens of Fisherman's wool, a few colors of Sugar n Cream, and a couple of baby yarns.
I will be making a list for hubby though, I informed him that this year I would like my Yule stocking to have a specific theme *g* (it should be big enough to hold a skien or two, or several balls of fur, and the set of crystalite hooks lol) so he told me to write it down or he'll forget *g* no problem dear =)
So on the bus to and from my shopping trip I started a scarf, it's a lovely wine color of mystery yarn. (read no label) It's a shiny, super super soft yarn (kinda like the homespun) but not thick like that, it's the size of ww, maybe? I just don't know enough about different yarns to really know the difference yet. I have one small skein of it and one small skien of off white. I may not know what it is, but I do love it =) Soft is good!
Then when I got home, of course, I couldn't wait to play with my new stuff. So I grabbed the ponytail hat and added the black fur. I kind of hated to cover the cool little ruffle thingy, but the end result was worth it and the pretty ruffle will be added to some other hat in the near future. I'll get a pic later for your viewing pleasure *g*
Then I just had to play with the Homespun. I knew from the start I had to have a hat out of it. I have several blue sweaters it'd look great with. So I got started. Then I discovered that counting stitches in this stuff is purt' near impossible. I frogged several times due to loosing stitches in the rounds. Finally something in my head (most people probably call it common sense) said to try using a bigger hook. Golly gee, it worked. I had to use an N hook, but in a couple of hours I had completed a super yummy hat. The thing is so soft that it has almost no shape (I used hdc for the most part with an occasional row of tight sc for a little bit of shape) but you can actually tell it's a hat lol. I adore it. I wore it for an hour after I finished it lol.
I had quite a bit of the yarn left, so I decided to see if there's enough for a scarf too. The thought of that delicious softness around my neck was irresistable *G* so I started on that last night. Should finish it today.
The mitten from hell is on hold. SamplerLady said she has an idea bubbling in her head, so I am patiently waiting to see what she cooks up =) I did attempt her suggestion of starting at the top and working down on the flap, but it seems I need specific instructions, because I just couldn't figure out what to do no matter what I tried. I think if I could have figured out how to start the thing I could have figured out the rest, maybe?
I have found that the first time I make a thing I need to follow a specific pattern, to learn how to build it, like with hats, you have to build the crown, there's a formula of sorts, but after that point you can take off and go your own way. After having made a few hats from patterns I am now starting to wing it, as with B's hat and the one last night. So, I have hope that with SamplerLady's help, I will eventually have the formula for this damn mitten lol. I hope so, because you know I'm gonna want a pair out of the homespun to match my hat and scarf right? *g*
Well, I hope ya'll have a really good weekend! I'm outta here for now... though the sun is peeking out so I best go snap those pics right quick...






0 comment(s):
Post a Comment
<< Home